Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (vs 2.0)/GeForce4 Card

well this board is pretty good one guy used a AMD Athlon Xp 1800+ processor and made it faster than a 2.53 Intel p4............
    I am thinking about this board ,Soyo's and Msi's

Made an XP 1800+ faster than an intel P4 2.53. Ill believe it when i see it, and i wouldnt be thinking about this board, for the simple reason that ive seen so many people complain about it. Sure there are people that have got it working flawless, but there are also more complaints about the 7VRXP than any other socket A board, and by a long shot as well. Ive also heard its not a very stable overclocking board either. Sure it has lots of stuff and is cheap but whats the point if it screws up on ya (not saying it definetaly will)

Yeah I know im thinking about getting a Soyo-KT333 DRAGON Ultra (Platinum Edition) I have heard alot of good reviews about it and very little complaints the ones I read the people installed bad IDE Cables, I was also thinking of MSI cause im building my freind a pc with a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with an AMD XP 1800+ Total is :802 dollars without monitor

As for me Im looking for the best mobo for the 2200 seems like the soyo dragon Ultra is heading my way ........at first it was the GA-7vrxp .......until I saw the reviews luckily I came and joined this forum :)

Wiggo,

Just curious about the 2 Gigabyte boards you had built.

Were both these boards the GA-7VRXP (REV 1.1) and to confirm were they both running a GeForce4 Ti video card?

If so what brand of Video Card did you go with?

:cheers:

P.S. I sent the following e-mail to Gigabyte just to confirm the work being done on my board. I'll post their reply "when" / "if" I get it. If anyone has the answers to these questions feel free to reply.

Subject: Questions - Sent to Gigabyte (Monday - 07/22/02)

Question regarding the known issue reported with using a GeForce4 Video Card in a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP motherboard.

It's my understanding that the 1.1 version of this board would sometimes work and sometimes not work. It's also my understanding that if the board some people have is not working than with their GeForce4 card, increasing the VCore voltage by +7.5% in the BIOS can help. The side effect of this can lead to higher temperatures causing a whole new batch of problems.

I've recently RMA'd my MOB back to Gigabyte to be "UPDATED". I would like to confirm exactly what modifications are being done to my board.

Users at various forums are reporting that "re-worked" boards are having a 4.7uF capacitor added between the VR at Q36 and a spot on the board where a surface mounted capacitor could go (but isn't installed) at C139.

It's also reported that the new revision (2.0) with a resistor (labeled R833) is being added and is already in production and being shipped.

My question to you is;
    1) Are these the only modification differences between the Rev. 1.1 MOB and Rev. 2.0 MOB?

2) Will my "re-worked" (Rev 1.1 MOB) be any different than a newly purchased Rev. 2.0 MOB?

P.S. One other bit of feedback. It would really nice to see Gigabyte (the manufacturer of these boards) to post something on their web site for people to reference. This way users know their getting direct and accurate information from the manufacturer instead of having to rely on various forums for this information. As web sites go I would have to say your web site offers almost no support to it's customers (yes I know you don't sell directly to end users). However, most vendors contacted would be of little or no assistance when questioned on this type of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas
    Wiggo,

Just curious about the 2 Gigabyte boards you had built.

Were both these boards the GA-7VRXP (REV 1.1) and to confirm were they both running a GeForce4 Ti video card?

If so what brand of Video Card did you go with?
    Yes both were revision 1.1 boards though mine uses a GF4MX440 (overclocked 310/500) but the other has a GF4 Ti4400 (overclocked 320/700) and both are Leadtek cards. Each also an AthlonXP1800+ o/c'd to 2100+. If ya click on the PC No.2 in my sig you will find the exact specs for both Towers bar the vid cards and what attaches to the tower.
    Now I was talkin' to a mate the other day and he seems to think that in a lot of cases the quality of the PSU is a factor in gettin' these boards to work properly but as I only used AOpen H600A cases with these I can't really say if this maybe right. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Here is the response I received from Gigabtye Tech Support in regard to my question about exactly what modifications were being made to my "re-worked" Rev. 1.1 board.

1st Question:
    I asked them to confirm the report that "re-worked" boards are having a 4.7uF capacitor added between the VR at Q36 and a spot on the board where a surface mounted capacitor could go (but isn't installed) at C139.

RESPONSE: The REV 1.1 board is having the existing 0 (zero) Ohm resister replaced with a 1000 Ohm resistor.

2nd Question:
    Is this the only modification differences between the Rev. 1.1 MOB and Rev. 2.0 MOB?

RESPONSE: "YES"

3rd Question:
    Will my "re-worked" (Rev 1.1 MOB) be any different than a newly purchased Rev. 2.0 MOB?

RESPONSE: "NO", they will be exactly the same board once the re-work is done. The only difference is the REV 2.0 board comes off the production line with the 1000 Ohm resistor on it already.

4th Question:
    Why there was no notification of this issue on their web site.

RESPONSE: Since this problem did not effect all boards a notification was not posted. The problem with the GeForce4 card was caused by a "change in the spec. done by NVIDIA" without notification to Gigabyte.

The tech also confirmed that the problem was specific to only a few hundred MOB's with specific Lot #'s. The tech believes the Lot # ended with "C".

I never received a response from Gigabyte from my earlier e-mail so I had called them to get this information. Should Gigabyte respond to my e-mail I will also post that feedback to see if the information given to me is accurate from both Gigabyte sources.

Ok then that may explain it then as both boards that I used were from lots ending in "E". :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

hmm should I still go with this board or just get a Soyo Dragon Platinum ? :afro:

Well, since I'm trying to decided which mobo to get (currently either VRXP or Epox K85A2+ or maybe I'll wait till nForce 2 is out in September) so I'm doing some research on the net. As far as VRXP rev. 2.0 goes, it does have thermal protection so that's probably the dif between new rev 2.0 board and a reworked one:

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/support/ThermalShutDown.htm

Also, it might have upgraded onboard audio:

http://forums.tweakers.com.au/index....;threadid=2676

Looking at their web site the only mention of ALC650 in regards to VRXP is that its new younger cousin (the GA-7VR) has it.

BTW, does anyone know if Gigabyte is actually making the bracket for the Solid State Media Cards?

I'm lookin' at the Epox K85A2+ for my next PC atm. ;)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information