Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (vs 2.0)/GeForce4 Card

Quote Originally Posted by nosX
    Ok i got a think thats been bugging me whats the Difference between an OEM Processor and a Retail Processor ?
    would a OEM 2100+ be different than a Retail 2100+ ?

(Last pc I built was 90mhz lol )
    The difference is that the retail Athlon XP comes in a box with a fan and warranty (12 months I think).

The OEM version is just the CPU on a plastic tray.

The reason why overclockers preffer OEM is that because it doesn't come with a fan (and its cheaper) they can pick their own cooling solution.

However, I don't know what prices are in the rest of the world, but here, the price difference between OEM and Retail is very small, so if you do get an OEM and an avrage priced fan it is actually dearer than retail.

So, basically its like this: If you are not planning on overclocking get retail, if you do get OEM.

The retail box has a 3yr warranty were the OEM's have 12mths. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

what is the best fan or cooling devilce for an amd xp 2200+ ? and is quiet ? :afro:

Well, if you are going to go all out, then probably one of the water cooling gizmos would be best, otherwise it seems all the best (ie most expensive) CPU fans have copper core or even are all copper.

You'd also need some thermal paste and probably a chipset cooler, since most KT333 boards don't have them.

The Soyo mobo has a fan on the chipset but for the processors I see AMD Xp 2200 Certified and When I read more about it , they say it only supports up to an AMD 2100+ ....whats up with that? I dont want my cpu melting. :cry:

The latest Soyo Platinum supports T'bred 2200+. ;)

In regard to my last post (dated 7-24-02 5:53pm).

To date I have still not received a response from Gigabyte in regard to the earlier e-mail I had sent them. The only response I've had was over the phone.

As I stated earlier I wanted to post their e-mail reply next to the questions I had them answer over the phone to validate their accuracy. :hammer:

I'm going to follow-up with Gigabyte once again with a follow-up e-mail to the original to see if that get's a response.

Also, still waiting for my "re-worked" MOB to be returned. I know Gigabyte received the board on 7/25 (verified via UPS Tracking Number). I expect the board to be returned within the next 1 to 2 weeks and will post the results of the "re-worked" MOB once I have it.

Looking over the last few weeks of threads it appears the REV 2.0 GA-7VRXP is a sucess. Many people have confirmed the newest revision of the board is what they had expected based on Tom's Hardware Guide. I don't expect a problem with the "re-worked" version but again if anyone has a "re-worked" REV 1.1 board let us know if the original problems were fixed.

:cheers:

Lian-Li PC60 Midtown (Modified Xoxide Case/LL-60 Warrior)
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Revision 1.1) / (Reworked by Gigabyte)
    BIOS vs F10
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz)
    ThermalRight SLK-600 Copper Heatsink/Y.S Tech 60x60x25mm
    Corsair CMX512-3000C2 (512MB PC3000 370 MHz)
    Western Digital 80 GH Special Edition Hard Drive (WD80OJB)
    Lite-On CD-RW
    16X Pioneer-116 DVD ROM
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 (Power Pack Ultra/750 XP)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster - Audigy Gamer
    Floppy Drive (Teac)
    Enermax Whisper Series (EG465PVE (FC) - 431Watt)
    WINDOWS XP Professional

hmmmm

Follow-up to my earlier e-mail sent to Gigabyte. 2nd e-mail request for information:

Dear Gigabyte,
    I had sent this same e-mail back on July 22nd, 2002 but never received a response. Can you please answer the following questions for me?

These questions are in regard to the known issue reported with using a GeForce4 Video Card in a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP motherboard.

The vendor I had bought my MOB from was unable to confirm this information when asked.

It's my understanding that the 1.1 version of this board would sometimes work and sometimes not work. It's also my understanding that if the board some people have is not working than with their GeForce4 card, increasing the VCore voltage by +7.5% in the BIOS can help. The side effect of this can lead to higher temperatures causing a whole new batch of problems.

I've recently RMA'd my MOB back to Gigabyte to be "Re-Worked". I would like to confirm exactly what modifications are being done to my board.

Users at various forums are reporting that "re-worked" boards are having a 4.7uF capacitor added between the VR at Q36 and a spot on the board where a surface mounted capacitor could go (but isn't installed) at C139.

It's also reported that the new revision (2.0) with a resistor (labeled R833) is being added and is already in production and being shipped.

My questions to you are;
    1) Are these the only modification differences between the Rev. 1.1 MOB and Rev. 2.0 MOB?

2) Will my "re-worked" (Rev 1.1 MOB) be any different than a newly purchased Rev. 2.0 MOB?

3. Will the "re-worked" board now include "thermal protection" to protect against thermal death? I know this was NOT part of the original Rev 1.1 board.

P.S. One other bit of feedback. It would really nice to see Gigabyte (the manufacturer of these boards) to post something on their web site for people to reference. This way users know their getting direct and accurate information from the manufacturer instead of having to rely on various forums for this information. As web sites go I would have to say your web site offers almost no support to it's customers (yes I know you don't sell directly to end users). However, most vendors contacted would be of little or no assistance when questioned on this type of problem.

==============================================

Gigabtye Confirmation:
    -----------------------------
    Dear Customer,

"The Message has been transmitted successfully.
    You will receive an e-mail which provides the solution soon.
    Thanks you.

2001 Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. All rights reserved ".

:cheers:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We'll....let's see if we get a response this time!:cheers: :?:

Lian-Li PC60 Midtown (Modified Xoxide Case/LL-60 Warrior)
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Revision 1.1) / (Reworked by Gigabyte)
    BIOS vs F10
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz)
    ThermalRight SLK-600 Copper Heatsink/Y.S Tech 60x60x25mm
    Corsair CMX512-3000C2 (512MB PC3000 370 MHz)
    Western Digital 80 GH Special Edition Hard Drive (WD80OJB)
    Lite-On CD-RW
    16X Pioneer-116 DVD ROM
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 (Power Pack Ultra/750 XP)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster - Audigy Gamer
    Floppy Drive (Teac)
    Enermax Whisper Series (EG465PVE (FC) - 431Watt)
    WINDOWS XP Professional

ehh lol i think I should stick with my soon to be soyo mobo

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information