Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P startup problem

Post GA-EP45-UD3P startup problem

I just finished building my system. I went into the BIOS and set my drive boot seq. I have the CD-ROM first and HD second. When I put my Operating system disk (Vista 64 bit Home Premium) I get a list then "Verifying DMI Pool Data......
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3p rev. 1.6<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Q9550<o:p></o:p>
    4GB G.SKILL (2x2GB)<o:p></o:p>
    LG Super Multi DVD drive plugged into the IDE set to cable select<o:p></o:p>
    W/D 7500aads in SATA 0<o:p></o:p>
    BFG 9800GT PCIE 1<o:p></o:p>
    Coolmaster RC-690 case<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Loaded optimized setting and changed Init Display First to [PEG]<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    All I want is just a simple install of Vista 64 bit with one sata connected HD and a IDE connected DVD-R DVD BURNER. I do want to partition my HD There is nothing like this in the manual. The gigabite manual keeps referring to RAIDS etc., loading drivers during the install etc. Do I have to do this ?????????????????

I found the problem. It was a bad IDE cable
    Last edited by G.Campbell; 09-13-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Found problem

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P startup problem

It's not the mother board. Try pushing in the SATA and power connectors on your hard drive........ HD ends and mother board ends. See what happens. If they're not all the way in or slightly coct this error will appear.

EDIT: if you don't have a floppy drive installed you have to disable it in the bios.
    Last edited by south side sammy; 09-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What ports, color and number do you have your hard drive connected to, and CD/DVD Drives as well?

What do you have for the following settings, ignore what I have entered and change to your settings >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Advanced BIOS Features

Hard Disk Boot Priority >>>>>> Go Into ........ Hard Drive with OS Must be at the top

Angry Re: GA-EP45-UD3P startup problem

I've been building / repairing PCs for many years, never had so much headache with a board as this one (unless it was defective).

I even slipstreamed XP to try to get it to work but I still get a bluescreen when it says "starting XP".

Also, it's killed 3 different hard drives by somehow changing their size (now the hard drives don't report their size properly on other PCs anymore either).

I bought a new 500 GB Seagate drive yesterday hoping to get this board finally working, blue screen again.

I tried disabling AHCI, and the "Native Mode".

Tried different SATA cables too.

The biggest disappointment is that this board says it has RAID, but it doesn't really, it's some kind of bogus "fake RAID" - false advertising :(

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

They have RAID Per Intel ICH10R

Please answer my above questions and I can help.

Sounds like your board may be faulty though, as they should not in anyway be able to change hard drive sizes. You can of course partition hard drives with boards, but to actually change the actual size you must do this in DOS with special tools.

Please let me know where you are plugging your drives in and such as I asked above

Quote Originally Posted by critofur View Post
    I've been building / repairing PCs for many years, never had so much headache with a board as this one (unless it was defective).

I even slipstreamed XP to try to get it to work but I still get a bluescreen when it says "starting XP".

Also, it's killed 3 different hard drives by somehow changing their size (now the hard drives don't report their size properly on other PCs anymore either).

I bought a new 500 GB Seagate drive yesterday hoping to get this board finally working, blue screen again.

I tried disabling AHCI, and the "Native Mode".

Tried different SATA cables too.

The biggest disappointment is that this board says it has RAID, but it doesn't really, it's some kind of bogus "fake RAID" - false advertising :(
    I guess it's a bad experience. I used this board for my 2nd build and DO NOT have one bad thing to say about it. I read the directions and asked a lot of questions before I started and everything worked fine. I have one sitting in a box right now that needs a new home.
    P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
    880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
    2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Smile Re: GA-EP45-UD3P startup problem

Everything is working fast and stable as far as I can tell, used it for a few days now. Prob. a good board.

The problem with the Seagate disks changing size - hmm - I don't think that's a hardware issue on the motherboard. Possibly an incompatibility issue, maybe a BIOS problem (One of the things I did before I was able to get Windows XP installed and working well was upgrade the BIOS, though I don't know if that was needed or not).

The hard drives have a setting in their firmware that got messed up and now they report a different size. Once that setting gets changed it's nothing to do with Windows or the MB - whichever computer you hook the HD up to it will still have the same problem and report a smaller size.

I haven't had time to try to hook the HDs up and reset the size again using the Seagate SeaTools DOS boot disk, that's what I need to try next. If that doesn't work then I have to RMA the disks to Seagate and get replacements.

---

My one last issue is: I want to use the RAID controller for a pair of data disks (not the OS disk, but two other disks) but I am not sure how to get the RAID drivers installed since if I turn RAID on in the BIOS Windows won't boot, but if it's not on, the drivers won't install :( If I could simply FORCE the drivers to install anyway, I think then Windows would boot up fine.

I might try moving the Windows disk over to one of the purple SATA ports and see if I can boot with the RAID setting in BIOS turned on for the orange ports.

Family is hear visiting for the weekend and new job starting on Monday, been real busy - hope to get to this in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    ...Please let me know where you are plugging your drives in and such as I asked above
    Sorry, I had answered this in previous posts I think. The SATA DVD-R drive is plugged into a purple port and the hard drives (I have only one installed at the moment, a new Seagate 500GB SATA) have all been plugged into orange ports.
    Last edited by critofur; 09-27-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Thread Information