Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DFI UT X58-T3EH8 PWM Temperatures

Default DFI UT X58-T3EH8 PWM Temperatures

Hi All

My DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8 arrived today and atm I am just running it on the bench to est for stability etc prior to upgrading my main PC.

I like to run Prime95 to stress my systems for reliability/stability but this board is freaking me out big time. I have never experienced so much heat fror a board in some 19 years... Yes ive had EVGA 680i's and they got hot but this board is a furnace.

The heatsink arrangement though generous on the PWM to me does not seem to be doing a very efficient job, if you put your fingers on the underside of the PCB in the PWM area when the system is loaded its to hot to keep ones fingers there or they will burn.

Even running the CPU at stock the heat on the underside of the PCB is awfull and under load the smart guardian system temp is showing 74 degrees C and indicating things are to hot.

Now I appreciate there are those who will yell that 74 C is within the PWM tolerance but I suspect the underside of the PCB in this area exceeds this and I dread to think what these temps will escalate to with any over clocking.

Has anyone seriously run Prime 95 for a duration of time that would conclude a test worthy of verifying a system that is stable and reliable without thereUT X58-T3EH8 board burning out.

In the real world I know its unlikely that the system would be pushed as hard as Prime 95 would push the system but I still think that all that heat is going to cause problems in the long run.

Is it time to rethink my X58 board choice, should I have gone for the Gigabyte UD5?

Have you been down this road yourself and come up with a sensible solution or resolve to satisfy your own peace of mind with this board?

Are you one of those people who have gone through several of these boards and given up.

I welcome all comments but please do not suggest I go adding fans blowing on the PWM area as that just strengthens my argument that there is a problem here.

I would like to hear from anyone who has, or has had one of these boards and there opinions.

Kind regards

Andy

Default Re: DFI UT X58-T3EH8 PWM Temperatures

Further to my initial post I have looked into this a little coser and done a bit of experimenting....

In brief I have the board running on the bench till I am happy to fit it in my main system and atm I am not to happy with the PWM temps under load either stock clocked or over clocked.

I dont like the Freezer attachment and I see this as a gimmick with very poor thermal contact to the main heatsink assembly.

I decided to see if I could drive the PWM temps down more with my own simple engineered heatsink attachment that would attach to the main PWM heatsink via the two Freezer mounting screw points, the experimental heatsink would be bent and fabricated so it can be fitted to be inside my case and stand upright between the Main Aftermarket CPU heatsink and the two rear exhaust fans in my tower case . A picture is attached of my experimental heatsink attachment before I go on.

Sorry the picture is a little dark and I shot the pic before attaching to the main PWM heatsink assembly but here are my findings after attaching.

My heatsink attachment did lower the temperature of the main PWM heatsink considerably but I can only go off touch but trust me its now much cooler, however the "Guardian Software System temp" only reported a drop of 4 degrees.

Now here is the interesting bit; the PCB area on the back of the mainboard around the PWM is still stinking hot regardless of the PWM heatsink temp being much reduced! This led me to do a little more research...

The PWM area has three Cooper Bussmann Multiphase Inductors CPL-4-50's which are not attached to the PWM heatink and do run very hot especially under load and thus are heating the PCB in the PWM area to a fair degree but are within tolerance so we can accept this is fine and partly due to the PCB itself being so hot.

NOW to my final conclusion and thoughts:

On the underside of the mainboard PCB directly under the heatsink where the Volterra VPR ICs are you can feel the immense heat being generated from these especially when under load, hmm isnt the PWM heatink suppose to be taking all the heat away from the VPR Intergrated circuits! .... YES the heatsink is suppose to take the heat away from the VPR's but as I have proven in my own experiments and research the transfer of heat from the VPR's onto the PWM heatsink assembly does not appear to be very efficient.

The poor transfer of heat from the VPR's onto the heatsink can only be down to the thermal transfer component between the VPR's and heatsink be this a compound, tape or other form of goo.

Whilst it would appear unwise to remove the heatsink assembly to re-apply or improve the thermal transfer between the VPR's and heatsink to me it is obvious that there is room for much improvement here and I suspect the usual mass production techniques have been used at the assembly factory during the Heatsink/PCB fitting process.

At this stage I am not about to remove my own heatsink assembly as I have no idea if any thermal adhesives have been used but I feel rather frustrated at the efficiency of the PWM cooling despite its potential given the generous size of the heatsink assembly!

Would like to hear from anyone who has removed the heatsink/cooling assembly on this board.

Overall I am impressed with the build quality of the mainboard and as an electronics engineer of 29 years appreciate some of the detail to the electronics in general.

I am not going to give up in my quest to get the PWM temperatures down and I acknowledge that there are those who will be happy with the way things are but I prefer less heat and the potential to have a longer lifespan out of my equipment.

Regards

Andy

Default Re: DFI UT X58-T3EH8 PWM Temperatures

Hey Andy i too have the exact same problem I agree overall its a great piece of kit, and to be fair ive been really impressed with it so far. its of a very high build quality on which you can tell by looking at, the colour scheme isn't that good but its certainly not off putting when it comes to making the purchase overall the board is of an excellent quality. this combined with an i7 chip is lightning fast in windows vista its stormed through whatever ive thrown at it, so basicly this is really an excellent board. it was well worth the money i paid.

now heres the bad part I have exact same problem as posted above when i run prime95 and the system temps go as far as 85C in smart guardian and im sure it even exceeds that, this is within the first few minutes of priming and it also makes a very unusual humming noise which is also worrying me as i dont fancy blowing an expensive board.

excellent post andy and an interesting read im still curious if you fixed the problem? hope i can fix this myself, also wondering if a bios flash would help this as i have the earlier BIOS revision on my board 02/03/08 i believe anyhow.

I had originally wrote a longer post but the site was giving me security pages i got disconnected so i lost all my work not had that on any other site but here which is strange, so i apolagies if i missed anything.

The last post had a bit more detail into the problem so i hope you can still understand this one just as well, i will try get the screens up as soon as i can the temps are hitting as high as 105C when the sittings is overclocked.. this is unacceptable really and will likely return this to the company i bought it from.. as i feel edgey when temps go that high.

Thread Information