Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fried MSI 266 Pro .... TWICE!

I have a MSI KT7 Pro MB with a Athlon TBird 950 on it.
    (KT133A chipset)

6 months after I got it, on a hot summer day, the machine just died. Replaced the motherboard under warranty, everything was fine.

Now exactly 1 year later, it froze up a couple of times, over a period of a few days. Now it get past the memory test, to the point where it says: "Press F2 to enter setup" then freezes.

Just wanted to get this into the archives and ask if anyone else had problems with this MSI motherboard.

-StrangeBrew

What brand power supply do you own? Are you overclocking? and how much?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

No overclocking, had stability issues when I tried. (1.5 years ago)

The power supply is a 350w unit that was a upgrade when I got the case from www.pcsforeveryone.com.

Oh well, screw it. The warranty is up.

Anybody know of a good reliable board for a AMD XP processor? I really don't care about bells and whistles.

-StrangeBrew

Is it possibly your Power Supply is causing these problems? Does it have a Brand name on it?

The best mobo depends on the ram you want to use with it. If you are looking for very good, and cheap, DDR 266 (PC2100) is somewhat cheaper than the alternatives, and if you go with DDR 266 then the best mobo is an Epox 8KHA+ which sells for about 85$ most places.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Is it possibly your Power Supply is causing these problems? Does it have a Brand name on it?
    Thanks for the reply.

It's a Fortron/Source FSP350-60BN, approved by AMD. According to the specs, it's overkill for my machine. www.fortron-source.com

However, after looking over some motherboard newgroups, I have found that my K7T Pro2 has a nasty habit of frying like this after a year or so. It has happened to MANY people. So there is the answer. Hopefully it didn't take out my Thunderbird, too.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to upgrade my whole machine. I'm thinking of going with an Antec power supply and some extra fans, since the Fortron/Source is VERY loud. I love my Dell 4400 at work, it's so quiet.

As for a motherboard, I always had good luck with ASUS, maybe I'll get one of them.

Once again, thanks for the help. Love your Avatar, I've never laughed so hard at a movie scene in my life. I think the music made that scene great. :thumb:

-StrangeBrew

Thread Information