Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KT400 chipset / AGP8x needed

For the price of those boards here, unless the Athlon gets a 166MHz FSB, all that memory bandwidth will just go to waste IMHO. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Ya, I've thought about the nForce2 boards, but I will be using my SBLive! until I buy a SB Audigy Platinum, and I'll be using my Radeon 7500 until I buy an ATI 9700 or NV30 (for Doom 3) ! I already have an ethernet card for my cable modem, and I'll be using my IDE hard drives for a while, so as far as I can see, there's no reason to spend the extra $$$ for the nForce2 board.
    Wiggo, it's not really for the extra memory bandwidth, it's for the AGP8x...(aka:future upgrades), but I understand what you mean though.

In real world figures 8x AGP adds very little in the way of performance over 4x AGP atm. :smokin:

ya, "at the moment" ......i'm trying to "plan ahead", we'll see if it works out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    In real world figures 8x AGP adds very little in the way of performance over 4x AGP atm. :smokin:
    Yep. I saw a review of the Xabre 400 where they tested it on an AGP8x board in 8x mode and 4x mode and there was about 3FPS dif.

Also if you are willing to go intel, then Soltek has a serial ATA board out already. It uses the P4X400 chipset, has serial ATA (150mb/s) as well as AGP 8x, and a nice platinum colour CB. The model # is the 85MR2SL

What about in future games like Doom3 ?? It uses 80Mb+ of textures...

Thanks, but Intel is TOO expensive !!:thumbs do

Actually, for being as loaded as they are, the nForce boards can be found under $100 USD. Unfortunately, the current crop isn't very good in the selection. Abit and Leadtek are the ones under the 100 mark, and Asus (big surprise) and MSI are over that--on-line!
    The nForce 2 is supposedly gonna open a can of whup ass on the KT400 with a 20% lead, but I'm not sure I quite believe that. I don't believe the KT400 is gonna offer that much over the KT333. I also believe that while the nForce 2 will kick the KT400's digital ass, the 20% performance difference is a bit hard to believe. I can see where it does have a potential advantage though: dual memory controllers, which could also be it's undoing. Either way, the chipset side for AMD chips is gonna erode some of Via's market share, as they do have many unsatisfied customers. I'm not one of them, but I feel the nForce is a superior product and #2 will be more refined to give Via a good fight. And that's always better for the end user:D

Also if you are willing to go intel, then Soltek has a serial ATA board out already. It uses the P4X400 chipset, has serial ATA (150mb/s) as well as AGP 8x, and a nice platinum colour CB. The model # is the 85MR2SL
    This is not true. The 85MR2SL is intel chipset Intel 845G + ICH4 chipset, so not DDR400 and no AGP 8X. It does have the serial ATA, but thats all. http://www1.soltek.com.tw/English/product/85mr2-sl.htm

Now, the SL-85ERV has the PX400 chipset...but it does not have serial ATA, no raid...blah blah blah... but does support DDR400 and 8xAGP. http://www1.soltek.com.tw/English/product/85erv-l.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information