Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems With Brand New Epox 8KHA+

Well the PSU should be considered fine due to specs but who can say if it just might not be a faulty part (be it mobo, PSU, etc). :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I took off the HSF and replaced the thermal pad with Arctic Silver 3 following the directions at the Arctic Silver site. This may have been the most stressful thing I've done yet. My temps are about 1 to 2 degrees below what they were before. So, I guess I did everything correctly. I was actually able to boot with the jumper at 133 and keep the computer running for about 5 mins. I've never before made it past 1. I'm just gonna be happy with it running at 100. I plan on buying a faster processor/mb/ram later this year. How much speed difference would I see at 133? Would it really be noticible?

You'll notice a big difference as you'll get the 25% lost CPU power back from having to run at the 100MHz FSB. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Ok, Lets start with full system specs. Include Brands, Speeds, Models, Amounts, etc.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Specs:
    AMD XP 1800
    256MB Crucial PC2100
    Antec 350W PSU
    MSI GF4 Ti 4200 64MB

Now I have a new problem. I left the computer on for a few hours while I was watching a movie, normally I've been shutting it down when I'm not going to be using it for a while. When I come back to the computer it was at 47C and the screen would not wake up from the power saving mode. So I rebooted, all I got was beeps. The beeps were single beeps about 3 seconds apart. So I left it off for a few minutes to cool back down below 40C and booted it back up. All was fine for about 5 mins. I was responding to this post and Explorer just quit, no error. I re-launched Explorer and the computer froze. I pressed reboot but it froze at the Windows XP boot screen each time. So, I left it off, again, until it got back down to 40C. Booted up just fine. It got back up to 46C by the time Windows had finished loading, maybe 40 seconds. Its never did this before today. Maybe I'll buy the Volcano 7+ and see if this helps. The FSB problem seems to be heat related as it is stable until it hits 40C each time and then will not work at 133 past that point. I'm using Arctic Silver 3 and applied it a few days ago. The HSF is seated properly. I've tried the RAM in different slots. I've taken everything apart and tried running the mainboard out of the case. Same results.

Update: Its freezing at 46.5C now so the computer isn't even usable. Its at 46C when it finishes booting into Windows. Its locking up just a minute after Windows has loaded. What am I to do?

Update: 46.2C blue screen with memory error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." Further down in the message it says something about a memory dump. This is the same error I get if I set it to 133FSB and boot after its past 40C. This must be a heat issue.

Ok, First of all, 47 C is not hot. What brand and model is your heatsink fan, What brand is your case, and how much airflow do you have.

46.2C blue screen with memory error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."
    That Error is most commonly a result of installing windows with a boatload of PCI cards in place. On new computers I haven't had running yet, I install windows with only the vid card and a NIC.

Also, What BIOS revision are you using? You didn't update to a BETA bios did you?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Ok, First of all, 47 C is not hot. What brand and model is your heatsink fan, What brand is your case, and how much airflow do you have.
    [/B]

I'm using the AMD retail HSF. My case is the Ahanix Platinum XP.

That Error is most commonly a result of installing windows with a boatload of PCI cards in place. On new computers I haven't had running yet, I install windows with only the vid card and a NIC.

When I installed Windows all I had was the video card. The only PCI card I'm using is the NIC.

[B]Also, What BIOS revision are you using? You didn't update to a BETA bios did you?
    2529 official release.

I should also add the FSB problem isn't a problem with Windows. If I enter bios after switching the jumper it reboots automatically after a couple mins.

New problem. Now the computer won't turn on at all. I push the power button and nothing happens, other than the fans coming on and power going to the CD. It never beeps, the HD never spins and I never get a bios screen.

Update: Reset CMOS and it will now turn on again.

Yup, with the AMD heatsink, 47 is very good.

Now the computer won't turn on at all. I push the power button and nothing happens, other than the fans coming on and power going to the CD. It never beeps, the HD never spins and I never get a bios screen.
    What code was displayed in the Diagnostic LED's when this happened?

Have you tried a different stick of ram?

I don't know what to say about the IRQL error, the only times I have seen it was when I described.

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Yup, with the AMD heatsink, 47 is very good.
    Using the thermal pad that come on the HSF I was getting 42C idle and 44C playing games.

[B]What code was displayed in the Diagnostic LED's when this happened?
    It stays at 88. Normally it cycles through numbers as it starting up but now its not doing anything other than just turning on to 88.

[B]Have you tried a different stick of ram?
    All I have is this one stick.

[B]I don't know what to say about the IRQL error, the only times I have seen it was when I described.
    Its doing the same thing again. It was working when I turned it off last night but now it won't turn on again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information