Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems With Brand New Epox 8KHA+

I just received the last of my parts today and put it all together. Problems galore!

1) Power light would not work. Decided that was ok and continued to install Windows XP.

2) While installing XP the computer restarted itself, while formatting the drive. This resulted in a rapid beeing from the system speaker and a bios error that the CMOS had been reset.

3) Tried installing XP again, starts setup and gave file error on CD.

4) Tried yet again, XP got a little further and gave a different file error.

5) Tried one more time, froze entering setup. Let it sit for 5 mins and nothing changed. Pushed reset button and got the same beeping sound, CMOS had been reset again.

Look like a bad motherboard? Must be. :eek:

What kind of beeping? How many short/long beeps and in what sequence? This can help tell you where any potential problems are.

Also, there is an LED disply on the mainboard itself. It gives a code and you can look it up in the motherboard manual to tell you what type of problems it is fighting against.

Finally, the power light not coming on is likely the Power LED cable being on backwards on the board headers. Just switch it around the other way and it should take care of that problem.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Motherboard says FF. Booting from the Win XP CD still generates an error each time. Turning around cable doesn't fix light.

After disabling the floppy, since I don't have one hooked up, I'm not getting the beeps. I tried Windows 2000 and same thing happens. It starts setup and says error on line 182 of d:\386\something\somthing.txt.

I'm gonna swap CD drives and see if that is the problem.

I changed the jumper from 133 back to 100 and am now able to install windows. Before changing it from 133 to 100, I changed to 133 before booting the CD for the first time cause I thought that is what it should be, I got an error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Shouldn't I be able to run at 133? I have PC2100 RAM and an AMD XP 1800+.

So get into ya BIOS and see what the memory and FSB settings are. Maybe something there is at fault. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Finally got Windows XP installed and was installing the driver for the MSI GeForce. During installation the screen blinked and computer restarted to a blank screen. I pressed restart and still blank screen, no video, past the POST screen. Powered off and turned back on and got error that a system file was corrupt and to repair with CD. Now its doing the same thing as before and giving errors when booting from CD. I don't know where the problem could be and the Epox website is useless.

After installing XP I set it back to 133. I set it back to 100 but it seems the board was some how "stuck" in the 133 mode even with the jumpers set to 100. I had to re-set the CMOS via the jumpers on the board and now I'm back up and running. Not sure why it won't let me run at 133 though. I check in the BIOS and it showed the FSB and RAM running at 133.

Just go into the BIOS's "Chipset Feature Setup" section and enter your "DRAM clock/drive Control" panel and there make sure that your FSB and DRAM frequencies are both set at 133MHz to start with and the mobo jumper is on 133MHz and see if it runs ok there we'll take it further. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Glad you got your Windows installed. I would have helped more, but I sleep at night. :)

From all that I see in this thread, it sounds like you got a used board that was being utilized for an overclocked system. If this is the case, then you should ALWAYS reset the CMOS settings back to default before you attempt to use it. You can't be sure that the forced setting within BIOS will be compatible with your own (as you just found out).

If this was sold to you as a new board, then I would maybe begin asking some questions of the seller.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information