Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious Problems

Quote Originally Posted by new builder
    Wiggo and friends,

Another problem, I went to try and place the ram in again, thinking maybe it wasn't seated right. Tuck the freakin thing out and noticed that one of the connectors was off! Now I know i need to replace the ram (this stuff was expensive!!!!) BUT is it still useable for the meanwhile to try and test out the system till i get it up and running or no? I know it didn't come this way, it must of just tore off when i put it in, but I've never seen a little connector on ram get torn of before?????
    You are right it was not supposed to get off, it is a defect in
    workmanship and should be under warranty (the copper plate was not glued correctly to the fiberglass board of the module). In any case you should get it replaced, for if any other connectors tear off they might short circuit and destroy your board. It is not the first time I have heard of such things happen. Insist on them sending you two single sided 256 modules (8 chips) so that if one does not work (and it happens) you have a better chance of getting through the memory checks. Begin by inserting one module (dimm 1 first and if it does not work then install it in dimm 3), and if it works install the second dimm, if not check the second dimm.

[B]
    Also, should i be using the built in video connector or my ATI graphics card, i tried both, but i keep geting the same error. I also tried re-seating the intel chip and heatsink but that didn't do it. I'm sooooooooooo lost right now guys. I just want this nightmare to be over so that I can finish building my brothers computer and give it to him before he goes off to college:(
    This nightmare will give you much experience and there surely will be more to follow ;-). I suggest you use the on board controller in order to minimize the components that can go wrong.

Well guys the nightmare is finally over. Thanks for all of your help along the way. It turns out that I was just using a bad piece of ram. I was trying to use a 512mb stick of Samsung ddr333 but I thought I would try to swap out the ram before anything else. Bestbuy had sticks of PYN memory on sale so i bought a 256mb stick of ddr266. Worked liked a charm and booted right up! I'm still pissed though cause the Samsung was a lot of money, and the bios even said it supported ddr333! We'll see what happens. I may stick with the ddr266 till I can get the Samsung ram replaced. Thanks again for all of your help!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:) The board does support ddr 333 and even ddr 400! I think you had some nice experience for a first time builder, next time you will share your knowlage.

There are getting to be some rumours about on Samsung's compatability with certain mobo's though whether this is true or not I can't say. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I can't say I had any troubles with them. Actually, I've tested my systems rigorously with prime95 for several weeks without any problems (I need to be sure I do not get any erroneous results).
    I may be on the right side of the gausian :cool:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information