Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Problems

Hey Guys,

Finally got al of the parts for my new system in, and I started to build it. Put everything together and turned it on. Got nothing on the screen, and after the cd-rom drive got done blinking in startup, it started beeping through the speaker in the case. I'm running a epox 4g4a mb iwth a intel p4 2.4ghz, a liteon cd-rom burner and a western digital 120gb hd. I have noooooooooooooo idea on what to do? Epox.com seems to be down which is ticking me off. This is the first time I've ever built a system. I should be able to turn it on and the bios should come up on the screen right? Any help would be great, or any links to some good site would help too.

Thanks guys!!!:cheers:

The beeping is a code to tell you what failed. You get short beeps and ya get long beeps as well is a bit of both. It may just mean that memory or videocard isn't seated properly. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

err....
    Do you have any RAM in, that will happen if you have no RAM installed.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

opps, forgot to add I have a 512mb stick of samsung ddr333.

Quote Originally Posted by new builder
    Hey Guys,

Finally got al of the parts for my new system in, and I started to build it. Put everything together and turned it on. Got nothing on the screen, and after the cd-rom drive got done blinking in startup, it started beeping through the speaker in the case. I'm running a epox 4g4a mb iwth a intel p4 2.4ghz, a liteon cd-rom burner and a western digital 120gb hd. I have noooooooooooooo idea on what to do? Epox.com seems to be down which is ticking me off. This is the first time I've ever built a system. I should be able to turn it on and the bios should come up on the screen right? Any help would be great, or any links to some good site would help too.

Thanks guys!!!:cheers:
    If you take a close look at the board you will find two red seven segment displays. When there is a problem with one of the components, cards or settings it acts as an aid in finding the fault.
    When you power up your computer it runs several system checks and reports progress to the seven segment display. When all is ok it runs through the checks displaying its progress until it reaches FF indicating that the system works fine. If there is any problem it indicates the stage it has reached and beeps. 10 seconds later it sounds a siren (via the loudspeaker).
    I think your board displayed C1 then followed by C3 indicating memory problems (check the manual). I have seen this happen in two different situations:
    1. Connecting memory modules with 16 chips on dimm 1 or 2.
    2. Connecting a hard disk that does not support uata 100 or 133 with a uata cable.
    In both cases the remedy is simple. In the first case get modules with 8 chips on them or install a single 16 chip module in dim 3. It is strange but it works (I'd like to know why too) even though epox has stated in its manual that 16 chip modules should not work.
    If it is the hard disk just replace the cable.

Hope it is of any help.

Alright guy a little update. I got the beep sequence for you. When I turn on the computer, the monitor flickers like it started receiving video. The hard drive turns on, and the cpu fan starts spinning. Thereís than a little bit of time where it looks like the cd-rom is done doing its thing (the light stops blinking), and than the beeping starts. It sounds like one continuous siren. The problem is that I have the 4g4a not the 4g4a+ so I donít get the two little lcd displays to show me any error codes? Iím stuck guys, any more suggestions? Thanks!

If it's a steady short beep then it's most likely the memory (but some have also used this for the video) so just pull it out and reseat it again and clear the CMOS then try again. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

And if it's the RAM the leason is: NEVER BUY SAMSUNG :snip:
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

:cool: I have good experience with Samsung and Corsair. One of my computers at home has a 4g4a+ motherboard. So I know for sure that they work fine.
    If you can, replace the 4g4a to a 4g4a+ it has other features that may appeal to you too.
    BTW I got better results with Samsung DDR 400 than with any other memory of this type I have tested.

Wiggo and friends,

How would i go about clearing the CMOS? It is a steady beep and they are short. The best way for me to describe it is like a police or ambulance siren. On continues beep alternating in two different tones. But the two different tones alternate quickly so the beeps i guess would be short.

Another problem, I went to try and place the ram in again, thinking maybe it wasn't seated right. Tuck the freakin thing out and noticed that one of the connectors was off! Now I know i need to replace the ram (this stuff was expensive!!!!) BUT is it still useable for the meanwhile to try and test out the system till i get it up and running or no? I know it didn't come this way, it must of just tore off when i put it in, but I've never seen a little connector on ram get torn of before?????

Also, should i be using the built in video connector or my ATI graphics card, i tried both, but i keep geting the same error. I also tried re-seating the intel chip and heatsink but that didn't do it. I'm sooooooooooo lost right now guys. I just want this nightmare to be over so that I can finish building my brothers computer and give it to him before he goes off to college:(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information