Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graphics corruption with GA-7VRXP 2.0

nraval,

Just double check the orientation of the heatsink base is correct. Should only fit one way but it's possible to get on backwards. This lip on the heatsink should be your closest point to the edge of the MOB. It's also the side that has the screwdriver lip when putting on the heatsink.

Lian-Li PC60 Midtown (Modified Xoxide Case/LL-60 Warrior)
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Revision 1.1) / (Reworked by Gigabyte)
    BIOS vs F10
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz)
    ThermalRight SLK-600 Copper Heatsink/Y.S Tech 60x60x25mm
    Corsair CMX512-3000C2 (512MB PC3000 370 MHz)
    Western Digital 80 GH Special Edition Hard Drive (WD80OJB)
    Lite-On CD-RW
    16X Pioneer-116 DVD ROM
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 (Power Pack Ultra/750 XP)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster - Audigy Gamer
    Floppy Drive (Teac)
    Enermax Whisper Series (EG465PVE (FC) - 431Watt)
    WINDOWS XP Professional

Also,

If you didn't use a SHIM I would recommend using the small pads that came with the heatsink. The reason for the pads is because the HS base does not use the pads that come on the AthlonXP so they provide you with their own. Otherwise you may end up cracking your CPU core.

The below pic shows an outline of how the base of the heatsink will be seated on the CPU core.

For reference also found this for you:
    Thermalright SLK-600 & 38cfm, 60mm Delta Fan had a temps at: 42 C / 108 F

URL: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guides/top_ten.htm

Lian-Li PC60 Midtown (Modified Xoxide Case/LL-60 Warrior)
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Revision 1.1) / (Reworked by Gigabyte)
    BIOS vs F10
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz)
    ThermalRight SLK-600 Copper Heatsink/Y.S Tech 60x60x25mm
    Corsair CMX512-3000C2 (512MB PC3000 370 MHz)
    Western Digital 80 GH Special Edition Hard Drive (WD80OJB)
    Lite-On CD-RW
    16X Pioneer-116 DVD ROM
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 (Power Pack Ultra/750 XP)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster - Audigy Gamer
    Floppy Drive (Teac)
    Enermax Whisper Series (EG465PVE (FC) - 431Watt)
    WINDOWS XP Professional

You are suffering from instability due to excessive heat, and excessive it is. 73C is very hot. Stability problems will start to happen after 60C in most cases. Even though the 7VRXP is a problem riddled board, in this case i would say your problem is independant of your board. Im guess that your HS is not correctly seated, or thermal compound has not been applied properly. You need to be very careful of these things, as with athlons bad seating can have your chip fry in less time than you will have to react. In very rare cases the heatsink may actually be defected and is not making proper contact with the core, i suggest buy a new heatsink, and fit it as everyone here is telling you.

OK, it turns out that I had the heatsink on incorrectly. I put it in properly and am getting MUCH better temperature readings.

BUT, I'm STILL having the graphics corruption problems!!! :mad:

I noticed that when I jiggle the back of the monitor connection going to the video card, it somewhat makes it worse. It seems like the graphics problems occur randomly.

Everything will work fine. When I enter Windows XP, the problem starts. I restart the computer and the problem right at the BIOS screen. It's like it starts and then continues to occur even after rebooting the system. Then when the Windows XP logo comes on after the reboot, it gets worse and worse and the the system freezes and the monitor goes into power saving mode. Everything on the computer is still on (fans, lights, etc.) though.

I then press the reboot button and the computer resets itself, the monitor comes out of power saving mode, but says no signal detected. I then go to the back of the computer, push the monitor connector firmly into the video card and the monitor detects the signal.

The funny thing is that I expected the computer to be booting this whole time, BUT IT ISN'T. It starts to boot as soon as the monitor gets a signal. I know this because the first thing the monitor displays is the BIOS version of the GeForce4 Ti4600.

Please help.

The monitor connection in the back on the video card:

Did you try to replace the processor with a spare or not?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I dont' have a spare Athlon XP chip. Can you send me one for testing purposes?

It may have something to do with the GF4 Ti cards not working with 7VRXP's but i thought that got fixed with the rev 2.0 of the board. I would get that video card swapped/refunded as soon as possible. You probably got a second rate one that somebody's already overclocked the crap out of, and beat down seriously. The kind of graphics corruption you describe occurs when the mem clock on the card is too high, so check that your clocks are at stock speed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehhe Yebeb
    You are suffering from instability due to excessive heat, and excessive it is. 73C is very hot. Stability problems will start to happen after 60C in most cases. Even though the 7VRXP is a problem riddled board, in this case i would say your problem is independant of your board. Im guess that your HS is not correctly seated, or thermal compound has not been applied properly. You need to be very careful of these things, as with athlons bad seating can have your chip fry in less time than you will have to react. In very rare cases the heatsink may actually be defected and is not making proper contact with the core, i suggest buy a new heatsink, and fit it as everyone here is telling you.
    I have this board with a 2000+ XP and a gforce 4 Ti4200 with a standard HSF and i get no temp problems at all... As far as this board being riddle with problems !!! Lets not jump to conclusions and blame one of the best boards on the market..

Is your Gforce 4 overclocked ???
    P4 2.8 HT ( Oced to 3 ghz )
    ASUS P4P800 Mobo
    2 x 512DDR 400mhz ( running Duel DDR )
    ATI Radeon 9800np
    2 x 80 gig Maxtors
    1 x 40 gig Fuji
    550 Antec True Control
    19" Flat Tube Mitsi Monitor
    Hercules 7.1 Forissimo Sound Card
    Hercules 5.1 Speakers
    MX700 Logitec Cordless Mouse and Keyboard
    Pioneer DVDR-RW Burner
    Liteon 52x CDRW
    Thermal Take Xaser 2 Case
    AquaMark Score: 41,000
    CM: 351 / 311 MHz

CMChomer, if you got it working, you got lucky, there are 100's of horror stories about this board that can back me up easily, anyhow this problem seems to have nothing to do with mobo's so just forget it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information