Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics corruption with GA-7VRXP 2.0

I had originally built my computer a couple of months ago and was experiencing graphics corruption problems. I realized I hadn't orientated my heatsink on the chip the right way (I didn't know it mattered!)

I then found out that there was a 2.0 revision upgrade to my motherboard. Atlas and I sent the motherboards and we got them back the other day.

I rebuilt my computer with the heatsink on correctly and little less arctic silver than last time. I was really hoping that it would fix the problem.

The problem is STILL occuring! :mad:

The attached picture shows what the BIOS screen looks like after the computer has been on for about 40 or so seconds.

I get the same exact problem when I boot into Windows XP. After a while the computer becomes unresponsive.

I've noticed that the temperature of the CPU keeps increasing about 2 degrees Farenheit about every 10 seconds.

Is this a heating issue? I can't see why, check out my specs!

Please help, thanks!

Specs:

Lian-Li PC60 Midtown (Modified Xoxide Case/LL-60 Warrior)
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (Revision 1.1) / (Reworked to Revision 2.0)
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz)
    ThermalRight SLK-600 Copper Heatsink/Y.S Tech 60x60x25mm fan
    Corsair CMX512-2700C2 (512MB PC2700 333 MHz - CAS2)
    Maxtor ATA-133 HDD - 60 GB
    Samsung 32-10-40 CD-RW
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 (Power Pack Ultra/750 XP)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster - Audigy Gamer
    Floppy Drive (Teac)
    Enermax Whisper Series (EG465PVE (FC) - 431Watt)

Graphics Corruption:

All of that junk you see of the screen shakes a lot and gradually gets worse and worse until eventually the computer stops responding.

That's way too hot, even when I used the stock heatsink I never got temps above 53C for CPU temp.

So, it's definitely a heat issue?

Wiggo, what do you think?

with temps like that it's probably temps, but same thing happend to my girlfriends comp and it was ram.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Do you get the same graphical errors in Windows? What happens when you play audio? Does it sound crackly?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

The same exact problem occurs while booting into Windows XP. Sometimes it will boot into the start screen. I'll play with it a little while and then without warning, the screen turns to junk. The computer is operable though. But little by little, it will eventually become unresponsive.

Audio is fine.

I've had the same similar problem before and after much troubleshooting it turned out it was the processor at fault. If you have a spare processor, try testing it to see if it fixes the problem.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

You don't think it has anything to do with the heat? What should the processor and system be running at with my specs?

Is it possible to install the heatsink incorrectly? Meaning that the orientation of the heatsink makes a difference?

Anything up to 50c is ok, 30 - 40c is better though. Take the HSF off and see if the processor core is chipped at all.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information