Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Bios not seeing 1GHz only 666MHz CPU

All as been fine until the last few days, when starting up, BIOS only see's the CPU as 667MHz instead of the 1000MHz. I did manage to look around the BIOS and loaded the best performance settings, this worked for a few days, now back to 666MHz with out being able to sort now.
    Bios date 12/15/01 and ID 62-1215-001131-00101111-040201-sis735
    Have you any ideas as to what i can try ? Using software that makes full use of the CPU, I did find that it take 30% longer in ending task when on 666MHz as of before when 1000MHz.
    Have checked all settings, eg CPU 100/100 and sometimes it does see the 1000MHz CPU. Battery ok, no loss of time etc. Any ideas ?

Is that a TBird or a P3? does it have 266mhz FSB(DDR) or 133mhz, or 200mhz(DDR)?

The CPU is an AMD 1GHz Duron
    the FSB (not sure what it stands for) is set in the BIOS as 100/100 the other option is 133/133 which i have also tried.
    One other thing i've noticed, the computer does not seen to start up so well. More often than not, have to use the reset after turning on power or using the on/off switch sometimes does not get to the first bleep. If power then removed, then on again, can then power up ok, then often showing 1GHz. I really think it's the BIOS, but not wanting to flash it myself !!
    Any ideas would be good.

Martin :thumb:

The motherboard doesn't have a jumper or switch that needs to be adjusted to the correct position does it? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

looking at the bios string you gave
    I see a K7S5A with the FSB set to H/W trap
    H/W trap =66mhz FSB
    Dual P2 233@266
    144MB ram
    TNT-M64 POS

Yeh thats the thing. THe multi is set at 10x and the FSB is set at 66mhz. You would either need to flip a jumper or DIP switch on your mobo to set at 100, or manually adjust the frequency to 100mhz in the BIOS somewhere.

Problem seems to be sorted.
    Tried flash upgrading the BIOS, but did not solve,
    found to be a faulty power supply !!!
    All working well now, thanks all for any tips though.

Martin ;-)

Thread Information