Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better onboard sound or PCI?

I just received my new Soyo KT333 Ultra Platinum!!! Great looking board especially with my case window. I am at odds with the decision however as to whether or not I should go with the onboard C Media 6 channel sound, or go with my Soundblaster Live 5.1 PCI card. I always liked the Soundblaster, but if I can save some real estate inside the box I will. But I just could not find much in the review department regarding the C media onboard sound. I would like some Tweaktown opinions on this one.
    Thanks
    Just1tree

"I feel the need....the need for speed!"

Unless you have a very good audio ear you may not notice the difference at all. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I would think that if you don't have rear speakers, the onboard sound might actually be better for games. It is supposed to have good 2 speaker and headphone positional sound.

It really comes down to what kind of equalizer adjustments you have or don't. If you don't have that, the different cards really won't make much of a difference..

I currently have the same sound chip on my Asus P4S533 Motherboard and it sounds great with the Logitech Z560 4.1
    Speaker System.
    The only disadvantage using this chip is that the Auxillary Input Jack doubles as the rear speakers Output Jack(which you can change thru the mixer) and when using with 4.1 & 5.1 speakers
    you lose the use of the Audio Input Jack, meaning if EX. you
    plan on using a TV Tuner card there is no easy connection to hook its Audio up to.
    Also remember you will not run into possible incompatability issues by using the Onboard sound chip and you save a PCI slot also. A review which I once read said that this chip performed
    better in games and just about as good in mp3 playback as the
    Soundblaster Audigy Card.

Still looking for the Review Link, if found will paste it latter.

My System:
    P4 1.6A @ 2.133Ghz. 133FSB /conservative
    Asus P4S533 M.B. (SiS 645DX Chipset)
    OCSystem 512 MB. True Speed DDR-400Mhz.Ram
    Leadtek AD 250 TD Geforce 4 Ti-4400 Which runs nicely @ 300/650Mhz.
    Maxtor 80 Gig. 7200 RPM ATA-133 H.D.
    Yamaha CRW-3200 CDRW
    Lite-On 163 16X DVD
    Digital Doc 5
    SuperFlower Black Aluminum/Magnesium Case with 6 case fans stock.
    Antec TruePower 430 Watt P.S.
    IBM P97 Stealth 19 inch CRT Monitor
    Logitech Z-560 4.1 Speakers
    Belkin 1200 V/A UPS
    MS Intellimouse 1.1 Special Edition
    Windows XP Professional

Since Intels price drops I just upgraded to the 2.53Ghz.

Stay with the onboard sound it has it's advantages if for some reason you feel that you need the SB 5.1 (But i suppose you will not) then just add it.

why would anybody choose onboard sound over PCI !!! :eek:

thats insanity, and people like that should be locked away. with soundblaster live you get environmental audio effects. I think it already comes with 30 and on their site, there are hundreds more.

can you use the EQ that comes with SB live with the sound on your board? :thumbs do

For one important reason: SB 6.1 with SNR of 106dB is just around the corner. For those who this is not important the onboard sound will suffice :)

Onboard sound chips are much better than those southbridge codec jobs plus not all of us are audiophiles enough to warrant the cost of a soundcard when it's not necessary (unless of course it's a southbridge codec). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Isn't onboard sound use cpu cycles especially onboard chip using AC 97 codec??
    XP1800+ (stock) with V7+ on 7VRXP rev 1.1 | R9500 128 mb softmod to 9500 pro /w dualview 17" and 15" CRT | 2x 256 pc2700 ram | Maxtor 60 GB | Sb Live 5.1 | 3Com NIC | Pioneer DVD 16x slot | Liteon 32x flashed to 40x |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information