Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB ports repair?

Default USB ports repair?

Can the USB ports on a ASUS P5Q be repaired by flushing the BIOS or default settings or is it time for a new motherboard?

Default Re: USB ports repair?

A lot more information would be helpful. What operating system are you using? What is wrong with your usb ports? Do they show up in device manager?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thankyou for the interest.

PC : Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Service Pack 1
    ASUS P5Q BIOS 2209 2010/03/11
    Q8400
    VANTEC iON2 600W
    8 Gb Kingston DDR2-800

The USB do not work.

Yes the ports do show in the Device Manager.

Running at the moment with 2 PCI add-on 4 port cards.

I am hopeful that someone with more knowledge than I on this issue will chime in. Meanwhile I have a few suggestions/questions to clarify the issue and/or solve it. Did the on-board USB ports ever work or is this a new issue? Have you installed the latest motherboard drivers? Have you tried uninstalling your USB ports in device manager and rebooting?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Hi PrairieDawg

Yes the ports did worked for since I bought it new - it was only recently that it stopped working.I have checked on the ASUS USA website and I do have and have already installed the latest chipset driver Version 9.1.1.1019 - that was the last one dated 19/9/2009. I first uninstalled all the USB drivers and did a complete shutdown. It did installed the default drivers dated 21/6/2006 and I then updated.I realy getting to the conclusion that I am trying to bring a dead horse to live again.It must be a hardware failure because with the new PCI cards the USB is working.

I have an Asus M2N-E with the same symptoms.If I started with an OS on a flash drive, or that death does not recognize the ports. Instead, the two front ports work perfectly.
    In your case, as far as I know, USB ports come from the ICH10R southbridge chipset.
    The conclusion would be to try a portable operating system, preferably with a USB or Linux LiveCD to check the hardware configuration or a clean Windows installation and then you find out if certain USB ports are "gone".
    Succes!

Thread Information