Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Defective ABIT SA6-R and others motherboards

For those of you who may have purchased an ABIT motherboard between Jan'01-Sep'01. It appears that there has been problems with these boards from the day you purchased them. The company at which I work for bought about 60 SA6-Rs based on performance and ABIT's name. However, it seems that boards produced around that time, Jan'01-Sep'01, had buldging or bad capacitors installed. These bad capacitors eventually leak and caused system instability and/or render systems useless. Over at Overclockers.com they have an article about this problem. ABIT does offer a 3-year warranty on thier products so if you have one of these boards...it may be worth your while to send it in for a repair or replacement. Or better yet, resolder new capacitors on yourself.

Regards,
    JL
    It's NEVER fast Enough!!!

Cel-T 1.3@1.575
    ABIT ST6
    512MB PC-133 SDRAM
    GF3 Ti200 64MB
    SB PCI 128
    Adaptec 2100s u160
    15K Hitachi 18.6GB HDD

AthlonXP 2000+@1760MHz
    MSI KT3 Ultra2-CE
    256MB PC-2700 CAS-2.5
    RADEON 9000 PRO
    MAXTOR 20GB ATA-133
    SB Live! 5.1
    3COM 3905C-TXNM

Even the best manufacturers sometimes have a bit of a glitch. As long as ABIT is willing to take responsibility for their product line, then I still wouldn't have a problem with recommending them. They still tend to offer some of the better boards on the market.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I stopped using Abit after having problems with their more recent "tualatin" boards (VH6T, ST6). Almost every one I sold had stability issues.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Darth-

I use to be an avid ABIT user and that's why I chose them use in the company PCs. Unfortunately we now have to worry about 48 PCs crapping out on us at any given time. I tried contacting ABIT-USA about the problem and asking them for some extended warranty and some written assurance that the replacement boards are going to be free of defects..well all they had to say about that was...please place a request on the online RMA service. Well, I wasn't expecting anything else but still having the knowledge of boards having bad capacitors that are ready to leak isn't something I want to deal with.

Fragman-

What sort of problems did you have with your ST6? I am currently running that board and with my findings on ABIT boards makes me weary about its lifespan. I am also curious as to what you were running on the ST6. My sig shows what I am running, and wanted to know if my upgrade to a KT333, 256MB DDR 333 GeIl CAS-2, XP 1600+. would even be a noticiable upgrade. Also I noticed in your sig that you are running the MSI KT3 ultra that I was considering. Are or did you have any problems with that board?
    It's NEVER fast Enough!!!

Cel-T 1.3@1.575
    ABIT ST6
    512MB PC-133 SDRAM
    GF3 Ti200 64MB
    SB PCI 128
    Adaptec 2100s u160
    15K Hitachi 18.6GB HDD

AthlonXP 2000+@1760MHz
    MSI KT3 Ultra2-CE
    256MB PC-2700 CAS-2.5
    RADEON 9000 PRO