Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abit AT7-MAX2

Is it any good? I heard it's Abit's new Mobo. It supports AGP 8x which will be good for the 9700pro I will be getting. I have looked at a couple sites that have them for sale but they don't give to much of the specifics. So Here are my questions:

A. Is the Abit AT7-MAX2 any good?
    B. Where could I find the specifications on this mobo?
    C. Should I buy this board for my new comp?

Well for the specs you could try the Abit website! But Ive done it for u so just click here!

As for the performance I can't say :thumb:

Yeah my stupid internet connection is f'ed up (took 10mins to get this reply page to friggin work) so it said that page could not be displayed (Abits site) but your link worked...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Click here for the first review of the AT7 MAX2.

This is the board that I ordered for my new computer. I am pretty excited about it!!!! It has everything you could want in a mobo, except the possiblity of gigabit ethernet (but I am not concerned about it.)

About the 9700 and VIA Kt400 8x, there has been some problems with compadiblity, on ATI's side. Read this to see the problems people are having.

Buy the board, wait on the 9700 until its bios problems are straightened out! That is what I am doing. :)

Great link. Yeah I knew about that agp 8x thing with the 9700pro. Anyway those 10usb ports will come in handy (I have at least 7usb items). Anyway I think I will most likely get it for my new setup :).
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

As saidin stated, the Tbreak website has a great review of the board. As a matter of personal preference, I ordered a <a href="http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=176" target="_blank">SOYO SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum</a> along with some Corsair PC3200 CAS2 ram for my system.

Should be interesting to see how these systems perform compared to the powerful 333 systems.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

I thought about ordering the Soyo KT400, but went with Abit AT7 MAx2.... They were @ the same price and they are identical boards, except you have to buy the riser card to get serial ata, and the abit board has serial ata on board.

What i do not understand is that soyo is claiming that you can get the full speed of sata with their riser card, but isn't it still going through the PCI bus...therefore limiting the potential of sata?

well, anywayz...both boards are great...cannot wait till i read what you think about the soyo board! :)

Looks to me like the riser card is designed to be used with an IDE port. According to Soyo, "The embedded Marvell chip in the riser cards converts parallel signals to serial without degradation in speed, and allows users to use both parallel and serial hard drives interchangeably. "

Check it out. http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=177

Does that look like 3 SATA connectors in the upper left of that card?
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

Okay,
    so you take your SATA Harddrive and plug it into the riser card. The riser card is connected to your ide channel on the motherboard. essentially you have a serial ATA hardrive connected to the regular IDE channel, which will be going through the PCI bus (correct me if I am wrong)....therefore you will get only the speeds of the an ATA drive.....

To me that is degradation of speed, meaning the SATA can give 150 mb/s but you are actually limited to whatever the IDE channel is set at.

hmmm ;)

If I am looking at this all wrong, let me know!

At this stage of my research, I couldn't tell you. It would seem right that the bus WOULD be the bottleneck. However, if you look at things like SCSI and RAID and their relative data transfer gains.. It's a whole different ballpark. :?:

I'll try and track down some solid information ASAP. Right now, I'm puttering around the net trying to find snippets of information on KT400's. Maybe something will pop up :)
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    </font>
    // -->

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information