Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GA-7VRXP question..

on this Gigabyte GA-7VRXP board there are four IDE slots, and i am wondering if my hard drives and cd rom drives will work properly if i put my ata/133 hard drive on IDE1, my 2 cd roms on IDE2 and my 2 older hard drives on IDE 3? would i have to do any of that raid setup stuff or can i just leave it alone and it will still work?

and can anybody confirm if there is a problem with this motherboard and geforce4 cards??

thanks

You will probably get several different answers to the drive setup question, but here's mine. If you copy cds from your reader drive to your burner, I've found that it helps to have each drive on its own channel as master, with the burner on the primary channel. Assuming ide 3&4 are the raid channels, I would set it up like this:
    cd/rw = master on ide 1
    cd-rom = master on ide 2
    primary hd = master on ide 3, set up on raid as JBOD (if this option is available) or else stripe
    secondary hds = slaves on ide 1&2

A little note: While you would probably not notice any difference between ata100 and ata133, many mobos I've seen lately with raid support ata100 on the standard ide channels and ata133 on the raid channels.

How exactly do i setup raid? do i really need it do the raid stuff? and for my 2 secondary hds, i plug them in the IDE4 plug right and set both of them to slave?

thanks

I suggested putting your secondary hds on ide 1&2 with the optical drives. When you boot up, the boot process will pause and give you a key combo to hit to enter the raid setup. The setup should be pretty easy. Just select Raid0 (or JBOD, meaning "just a bunch of disks" if your mobo supports it) for the type of raid, and follow the prompts. When you go to load Windows, if you are using xp early in the setup, it pauses and asks if you have any 3rd party raid drivers and tells you to press F6 if you do. This will time out if you do not press F6 soon enough and you will have to start the setup over again. You can load the drivers from a floppy or cd, just point Windows to the drive and directory they are in. You have too many drives to do without the raid channels unless you were to install an ide card with extra channels.

can anybody confirm if there is a problem with this motherboard and geforce4 cards??
    I have the same board revision 2 with a gforce 4 ti4200 and i have no problems. Some ppl have though but i dont realy understand why.
    P4 2.8 HT ( Oced to 3 ghz )
    ASUS P4P800 Mobo
    2 x 512DDR 400mhz ( running Duel DDR )
    ATI Radeon 9800np
    2 x 80 gig Maxtors
    1 x 40 gig Fuji
    550 Antec True Control
    19" Flat Tube Mitsi Monitor
    Hercules 7.1 Forissimo Sound Card
    Hercules 5.1 Speakers
    MX700 Logitec Cordless Mouse and Keyboard
    Pioneer DVDR-RW Burner