Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: micro atx...

so i needed a new case for my new t-bird 900 w/gfd oc'd to 1.3ghz and a MASSIVE heatsink

and my current case doesn't have enough room between the board and the psu to fit that heatsink...i slide the tray in and the heatsink whacks into the psu by about an inch - so i need a new case (this one is configured like a microatx case with the psu over the board)

so i buy a new case! :D (still waiting for it to arrive)

but i kept looking, to be sure i got a good deal (i did :D) and i find on clearance a case just like this one, but not from this site: http://www.jscustompcs.com/Nikao/mt1000.php

they had 2 left for DIRT cheap price (really really cheap, really)

i bought both of them! :D (for the price i paid who the hell wouldn't?!)

umm, so now i got 2 microATX cases and nothing to put in them and i want to make them gaming machines...

i need suggestions for mobo/cpu combos and try to keep the price under $100

for specs, i need 3 PCI, 1 4xAGP, and preferably 3 sdram slots, and network onboard, anything else onboard is a bonus but not neeed

i'll be loading up each with an agp card, a 5.1 sound card and a ata100 card and need the 3rd pci for an upgrade t.b.d. (maybe wireless network cards)

i should also see if i can find a pair of 10 or 20gb hdds for them (prices anyone? remember - dirt cheap!)

i have plenty of cdroms in stock, so that's not needed either

ok, now for your suggestions!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

I'd be surprised if you can find a mobo/cpu suitable for gaming at that price. Why sdram instead of ddr for gaming? I looked at the case in your link. I think that it will be a nightmare trying to build in a case so small (I see power supplies and optical drives getting in the way of mobo components, no airflow, etc.). IMHO, "dirt cheap" components don't make good gaming rigs.

I agree, why a micro atx? I do have one suggestion though. couldn't you find a micro atx with on board ata 100 controler. this would free up a pci slot. For that matter why not an on board video and audio too. The mother board is a little pricey but you wont have to buy all the other pci components. Cheaper as a whole. The downside is that the result will not be a screaming top performer, built for gaming. I don't see you making a gamer with that low of a price limit anyway. you could build a computer but not a gamming computer. Good luck.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

I do like your case. it is better than mine and I noticed that it is compatible with atx and micro atx. I think that you will find that it wont be too bad building a system in it. Mine is about the same size and I am using an epox 8kha+ which has on board audio, an ata100 controller, 5 pci slots, 4x agp, and 3 dimm slots for up to 1.5 gig of ddr ram, and will work with your t bird. You might be able to pick one up for 100.00 but if not , there are other makers that are good and cheaper. Soyo is popular and often cheaper too. I am talking about atx mobo's though.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

Potatoe2, you may have misunderstood..

i was only describing the event which led up to me getting the case(s) that's pictured in the link

the t-bird + etc goes in a totally different case

although a std atx may fit, micro atx would be cheaper, no?

i will *not* get one with onboard video, hell NO, just isn't worth the performance hit
    onboard sound is another matter - it's typically sufficient for gamers so i can suffer with it though i prefer to add my own 5.1 card to the system

bigjackusa, point taken on ddr, but not with cooling - it won't be an issue and i can fit a 500w psu in there if i wanted
    it can hold a fullsize atx power supply

in any case, with a 20gb hd and loading a rock solid os (win2k) and tweaking it to run as few services as possible (yes, it can be loaded to run with less resources than win9x) it will be a perfectly fine gaming box -

the idea is to get a box better than an xbox or ps2 for les money
    i know it can be done i just have to find the right parts - which is where ppl on the board come in!

so, to restate specs:

atx/cpu combo or microatx/cpu combo, *no* onboard video, at least 2 pci, 1 4xagp, 3 ram, and anything onboard is a bonus
    preferably with a 900mhz cpu or better

p.s.,

- oh and i just had a look at the measurements again,
    the damn cases are BIGGER than my current case!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    cooling will NOT be a problem, seeing as i have 5hdd, 2cd and a floppy in my current case with no cooling problems

p.s.s.,
    (wow, which means the new case i'm getting so i can fit my t-bird is even BIGGER!!! :D
    uh oh - where the hell am i gonna put it?! )
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

Thread Information