Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to the old mobo problem

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    EPoX do have 2 KT400 boards but they are not easy to find and this maybe because the KT400 chipset is a disappointment atm when it comes to DDR400 support (more like SDRAM performance atm) but run as a DDR333 setup it's very fast. I really wouldn't be surprised at all to see a KT400A chipset being released (or maybe a heavy BIOS overhaul or 2) but I'll stick with the KT333 chipset as it should last the life of socket A setups (2-3yrs at the most now) but it already, though unofficially, supports the 166MHz FSB and should only require a BIOS flash to be able to handle the 512KB L2 cached "Barton" cores which are due at the end of the year now. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Ahh....so I wasn't hallucenating about KT333 supporting 333mhz fsb athlons, cool
    http://www.ibosh.com/userstats2.php?...5,255&email=42
    http://www.ibosh.com/lwdteamstats.php
    "It's ok to prick your finger, but don't finger your prick."

Installing a vid card on a board with built in graphics is as easy putting in an AGP card(some boards auto-detect a new vid card and auto-disable the onboard graphics), to as hard as changing 1 bios setting (onboard video - enable/disable). Piece of cake!

pga- take a look at the soyo kt400 board. It supports everything the abi max2 except firewire. It will have riser cards later on for serial ata support...if you want it. But it is the kt400 chipset !

ABIT KX7-333 Socket A VIA KT333 Motherboard
    Specifications
    Support for AMD Athlon, Duron, XP
    Chipset VIA KT333 / VIA VT8233A
    Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 IDE
    Memory 4x 184-pin DDR PC1600/PC2100/PC2700
    1 AGP slot, 6 PCI slots ATX form factor

Doesnt have PC-3200 in the list. But you are saying that it does support it? :?:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

How about the MSI KT4 Ultra (MS-6590) board? Or do I not really want to get a MSI board?

I guess I have three choices:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP VIA KT400
    Soyo SY-KT400
    MSI KT4 Ultra

Now which one of these will I be best off with? The MSI doesnt have too many BIOS options while the Gigabyte has a dual BIOS with many ocing options. The Soyo also has quite a a few options. The soyo is also about $60 more than the other two. So my question is: Which one should I buy out of the 3???

-PGA1234

hmm, well the giabyte is fine now with the Radeon 9700....but you will have to update the bios on it. As for the MSI and the Soyo Kt400, I am not sure if there had been any troubles with the 9700 and them.

I would go for the Soyo Kt400, b/c it has the highpoint raid controller. And if you are planning on raiding your drives....this is the better than the promise controller. (At least I have been told this!) You might be spending more $, but you get more product....not as much as the AT7 - Max2...but more than the gigabyte or MSI. Hmm, and after checking it does not look like MSI board has any ATA raid option...only serial. :(

I won't be using a RAID setup. I just really need something that will be compatible with my stuff and have some good OC'ing capabilities. I think that the Gigabyte has more OC'ing options than the Soyo and MSI. So unless someone has a reason why I SHOULDNT get the Gigabyte it looks like I might be getting that one.

-PGA1234

BTW, I personally think that the Soyo is highly overpriced.

Just get the abit, the memory is backwards compatiable anyways.
    http://www.ibosh.com/userstats2.php?...5,255&email=42
    http://www.ibosh.com/lwdteamstats.php
    "It's ok to prick your finger, but don't finger your prick."

yeah, I think you will be good with any of those boards. I would go with the cheapest one, esp since raid is not an issue. I would get the Gigabyte that did not have raid contollers...I think you might even be able to find it for or under $100USD.
    hehe, yeah it is 89 at newegg.com :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information