Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Chassis fan not adjusting

Neoeclectic is offline Junior Member

Default Chassis fan not adjusting

I have the ASrock Z77 Pro 3. Chassis fan header #1 runs the case fan at 2000 rpm and won't respond to speed control in the BIOS or through the utility that came on the disc. I set the target fan speed to 1 and the target temp to 120 degrees F initially and it just runs full blast. Then I set the target temp to the max setting and it still runs at full blast. I moved the fan to other headers on the board and they respond accordingly.

Is this a defect with the board?

I'm considering running a y-splitter from CPU fan 2 header in order to control that fan. I'm apprehensive about that though because I don't want to overload that header.

Any thoughts?

Lasch24 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Chassis fan not adjusting

Hello, I think this issue might be caused by the fact that ASRock boards cannot voltage control 3 pin fans.
    If the fan header or the fan is connected via a 3pin connector, there is no way to control fan speeds within any configuration utility of any kind.

There is loads of cables converting the +12V current from the connector to 9, 7 or 5 volts, whichever will fit the speed you want that fan to constantly spin on. I would recommend running 9V or 7V since not every fan can spin up on 5 volts.

That also means, that connecting the fan to your CPU fan 2 header won't help you with that, since this will only work for 4pin fans. But running multiple fans per header is not that big of a deal, depending on the fan itself, 3 to 5 fans per header should be working properly.
    Last edited by Lasch24; 04-13-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Papang is offline Junior Member

The same is happening on my Asrock 960GM/U3S3 FX, as Neoeclectic said, 3 pin fans run full blast when connected to these 4 pin headers which makes for a very noisy setup. However on mine, even 4 pin PWM fans will only run at a fixed speed, adjustable by "level" and to me is pretty lame, specially if your talking of the CPU fans. My procs turbo core will go up and down but my fans are fixed, even if temps go up...or down.

This is pretty bad for gaming or video edition. It means I have to preset the "level" in the bios and go directly to the game or app and when I finish, restart and reset the fan level to something normal like surfing the web or filling out spreadsheets or writing.

I have 3 headers: CPU, PWR, & Chasis. Of these, I can only control the level on CPU and Chasis when a PWM 4 pin fan is connected. PWR has no level control so whatever you connect to it, be it a 3 or 4 pin fan, it runs full blast. I used the PWR header for a northbridge heatsink mod (modded a larger heatsink in place of the stock one which is half a heatsink in order to let a add-in card to go over it) so as to add a 40mm led fan (3pin) and it is running at 5,000 rpms, the max. speed. If you've heard one of these running at 100%, your ears ring after a while altho it does the job--keeping the hot nb cool.

This is my first Asrock mobo but my previous Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA and Abit mobos could control fan speed even with 3 pins, hmmmm.
    Last edited by Papang; 07-06-2013 at 08:06 AM.

I have the gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo in a Thermaltake Mozart HTPC case. When shopping for cases they claimed that the case fans were pretty quiet less than 19db however from the back of the lounge they still sound pretty load and are constantly running flat out. The three case fans 80mm 2000rpm (intake) and dual 60mm 2500rpm exhaust each only have two wires and are all connected to a 4 pin molex connector to the PSU. The mobo has a 4 pin sys fan connector that I would like to use to control the case fan speed, even if it just means that they kick in when things get a little warm. With the dual core running at 90% for a reasonable period, the CPU temp is 46C, and system temp is at 43C. Is there any place where I can get a connector for these fans to plug into the mobo, or should I instead be looking at replacing the case fans.
    "If you don't have it. Don't hit it"

Papang is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasonorland88 View Post
    I have the gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo in a Thermaltake Mozart HTPC case. When shopping for cases they claimed that the case fans were pretty quiet less than 19db however from the back of the lounge they still sound pretty load and are constantly running flat out. The three case fans 80mm 2000rpm (intake) and dual 60mm 2500rpm exhaust each only have two wires and are all connected to a 4 pin molex connector to the PSU. The mobo has a 4 pin sys fan connector that I would like to use to control the case fan speed, even if it just means that they kick in when things get a little warm. With the dual core running at 90% for a reasonable period, the CPU temp is 46C, and system temp is at 43C. Is there any place where I can get a connector for these fans to plug into the mobo, or should I instead be looking at replacing the case fans.
    The fact that your fans only have 2 wires means that it is just power and ground/neg. With these, your fans must only run at one speed, usually full blast, moreso if connected to your psu via molexes. Unless the fans have integrated temp sensors which is really rare and expensive, they are "dumb" meaning that they don't adjust.

If you want speed control, fans must have 3 or more wires and be connected to the mobo fan headers. 3 wires should let the mobo feed variable voltage to adjust fan speed but at only one chosen speed. But 4 wires lets you have PWM which is the best for automatically adjusting speed according to heat via a mobo sensor(s). Your Gigabyte mobo appears to have four fan headers: CPU and SYS (4 pins), NB and PWR (3 pins) so I see what you are trying to do.

So in sum, you need to change your fans to the 4 wire variety (study what you want: silence, style, leds (that's me!), hi top speed, price, bearing type, etc.) and buy splitters to add more fans like this one:

Rosewill Model RCW-FPS-401 - Newegg.com

I like this option as it draws power from the PSU, not the mobo (plus is cheap). A mobo header can usually take up to 1 amp so take that into account if you use splitters that draw current from the mobo header. Personally I would not do this cuz it may strain the mobo. Anyways, here in Mexico we don't have these choices. I have not tried this out so if you take the jump, let us know how it went. This could definitely go into my next "wish list".

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lasch24 View Post
    Hello, I think this issue might be caused by the fact that ASRock boards cannot voltage control 3 pin fans.
    If the fan header or the fan is connected via a 3pin connector, there is no way to control fan speeds within any configuration utility of any kind.

There is loads of cables converting the +12V current from the connector to 9, 7 or 5 volts, whichever will fit the speed you want that fan to constantly spin on. I would recommend running 9V or 7V since not every fan can spin up on 5 volts.

That also means, that connecting the fan to your CPU fan 2 header won't help you with that, since this will only work for 4pin fans. But running multiple fans per header is not that big of a deal, depending on the fan itself, 3 to 5 fans per header should be working properly.
    The part about not controlling three pin fans is false, it is not a fact that ASRock boards cannot control the speed of three pin fans.

My ASRock boards control three pin fans fine. I can adjust them with the BIOS settings, or using AXTU in Windows and try different fan speeds and see how cool or quiet I can get.

If you put a three pin fan on a four pin PWM fan header and expect to control that three pin fan, you are mistaken, that simply won't work on any board made by anyone.

Fan headers labeled "PWR" are normally without any speed control, that is an unwritten standard.

Two wire fans can be speed controlled on a three pin fan header, if they can be connected to it. They won't provide an RPM signal back to the board, since that is the purpose of the third wire. They will need to be manually adjusted, since they do not send any speed signal to the board. There is no adapter that will allow two wire fans to be controlled by a four pin PWM fan header.

Small fans, like 80mm or less, are always loud and whiny, and more very little air, get bigger fans or a new case if you want quiet.

Thread Information