Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPOX 8K5A2+ problem

I just build my first computer, and when I turn it on it shuts off after about 5 second, and starts making noise. Kinda like doooeee, doooeee. Till I shut off the power suply. I think it might have to do with my processor/fan, but I can't find any explantation of beebs in my book or online. I am using the Volcano 7+, and the switch on it confuses me. I'm supposed to plug a fan into the "CPU Fan" spot so it knows theres a fan there. But the Volcano7+ has 2 connectors that could fit on it. One comes out of the fan, one is after the switch and is kinda redish. Which one am I supposed to connect to the "CPU Fan" pins?

It also could be my Memory. For the few seconds that my computer is on, the LED display on the motherboard says C1. C1 is Memory module iserted incorrectly. I've tried re-inserting it. I know it's in the right spot, but I've tried using the different DDR sockets.
    Would this kind of error cause the whole computer to shut down after just a few seconds?

Thanks,
    Justin K.

no something else is wrong. Usually when something like memory is not properly detected or whatever the system won't boot up at all. It'll just sit there and beep for all eternity. A good place to find bios beep codes and what they mean http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/ It could also be a problemw ith the motherboard. I dought the processor is overheating after 5 seconds of being on.

I have tried known to be good memory and video card in my system now. Now I only have the hdd, video card, and memory in, and it still does the same thing. Starts up for a few seconds, shuts everything down except the PC speaker, and repeats a beeeboooo noise untill I turn off the power supply.
    I also went over the jumpers. I think that either the motherboard is bad, or i installed the cpu/heatsink wrong. Is there any good ways to test these things? I can't see any good way to get the cpu out without taking the Volcano 7+ off. Is it bad to take off the Volcano 7+ off the cpu?

no how else would you change heatsinks or processors? Just be careful that you don't crack the core that's all. THen again did you look at that bios beeping page? We might be looking at either a dead mobo or a dead processor. One of them is a possibility.

Is the fan monitoring cable hooked up to the right motherboard header (if connected at all) as this will do that too. It would be best to take off the Volcano 7+ and check to make sure that the clip hasn't been install backwards as well. ;)
    <center></center>

Do the post port led's light up? I have the problem that with sevewral power supplies I either get the fan CPU fan spinning for several seconds then stopping without the leds lighting. With one power supply the internal speaker emits a high pitch noise but no leds light up. With a borrowed power supply it works OK. The first board was changed under warranty, but I suspect it was not a board problem but a power supply problem. Just tried two 300 watt supplies without success - one el cheapo and an expensive one.:cheers:

R Demon, I did looks at the beeps page, and it claims that it's a problem with the memory. I tried a memory chip that is known to be good, and it still did the same thing.
    Another thing I was wondering is in my motherboard motherboard manual it says it supports PCI1600/2100/2700 184-in DIMMs. Mine is a Corsair XMS 3200 DDR, could it be to fast for the motherboard? I'm not sure what kind of good memory I tried, it was in my friends system and could have been anything.

Wiggo, the fan monitoring cable is hooked up to the "FAN1: CPU Fan" slot. On the Volcano 7+ there are two such wires, does it matter which one I use? One that comes out of the fan and one that comes out of the fan speed switch. Also, I didn't know there was a front or back to the clip. Which way should the clip be in the heatsink?

IRS, there is a red led light up on the board and two LED Debug displays that light up for the few seconds the computer turns on.

On another note, I took off the heat sink, re-seated the chip, and put the heat sink back on. Everything there looked fine, but it still does the same thing. Do i need to put more thermal goo on it when I take it off and put it back on?

Thanks again!

It works! I tried switching the clip on the heat sink, and it started working. Thanks Wiggo! Why in the world doesn't the Volcano 7+ come with instructions? Just a dumb picture that doesn't tell me anything!

Thanks again guys,
    Jek

Hey n/p's but I think Thermaltake expects everyone to know that the clips pressure point is spose to be directly over the core (it's a very common mistake so don't kick ya self about and yes, a better set of directions would cut this happeni' down a lot). ;)

Good luck with any darkside adventures that ya may embark on. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Hm, new problem. My computer us not detecting my cd-rom drive. I can boot now, to dos with a win98 boot disk. Do i need to set up the cd-rom, or should I just be able to install win2000 from the CD? I tried my cd-rom in my current DELL computer. The dell computer didn't like it, but I don't know if thats because the cd drive is bad, or if the dell computer didn't like it. By not like it, I mean the dell computer came to the dell bios screen at startup, but didn't go any further. Any troubleshooting tips?

EDIT: I'll freely admit that I am retarded. I had the cd-rom plugged into the RAID slots.

Another question though, I have the cd-rom set as my first boot device, but when I put a win2000 cd into it, it still asks for a boot disk. Once I boot into dos with my win98 boot disk, i can read the cd. Do I need to go buy some disks and make a win2000 boot disk?

Thanks agian,
    Justin K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information