Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Trying to setup RAID (1+0) array on Foxconn Motherboard, post initial OS installation?

Default Trying to setup RAID (1+0) array on Foxconn Motherboard, post initial OS installation?

Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to install a RAID array into a Windows 7 installation (post initial setup). My motherboard is the Foxconn PRODUCT : Motherboard : Details, and it supports most varieties of software RAID, in particular RAID 1+0, which I am attempting to configure.

Because my computer 'started' with an SSD (and BIOS set to AHCI), I had to perform a Windows Registry tweak in order to boot into Windows (Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - ICH10R/P45 - changing from IDE to ACHI?) with the BIOS set to RAID. The tweak works quite well, and my computer now boots fine into Windows.

Once I physically connected the 4 x WD 1T Standard (mechanical) Drives to the computer I then started up and immediately entered the RAID Utility (CTRL + I) on my motherboard. I then set the 4 x 1TB Drives as a single RAID volume as can be seen below -

Trying to setup RAID (1+0) array on Foxconn Motherboard, post initial OS installation?-raid-array-utility-jpg

Whilst I am not new to RAID, having set it up several times on my personal computers, I am at a loss as to whether what I am seeing is correct. Referring to the picture, above, can anybody tell me if I should be seeing 'Member Disk (0)' for each of the disks, or should I be seeing 'Member Disk (0...3)'?

Furthermore after setting up the RAID array, through the RAID Utility, I booted up into Partition Wizard (using a bootable CD), and instead of seeing 1 drive icon / entry (as I expected), I actually see 4 separate drives, which makes me think that something has gone wrong with the initial RAID Volume setup.

Any help and or suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo
    Last edited by Mr Davo; 03-03-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Gramatical

Default Re: Trying to setup RAID (1+0) array on Foxconn Motherboard, post initial OS installation?

View through Partition Magic!

Attached Images Attached Images Trying to setup RAID (1+0) array on Foxconn Motherboard, post initial OS installation?-view-partition-wizard-jpg 
    Last edited by Mr Davo; 03-04-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Default Re: Trying to setup RAID (1+0) array on Foxconn Motherboard, post initial OS installation?

Eh, I've seen this before but seeings I don't do RAID I never much paid any attention.

Hopefully someone, maybe even parsec as I believe he's familiar, notices this and gives some guidance to ya.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your attachment no longer works, so I can't see what Partition Magic displayed about the disks.

My question would be, why use Partition Magic? What's the point? If you just created the RAID volume, I would want to check it with the Windows IRST UI, and at least initialize it in Windows 7 and perform a simple format. IMO Partition Magic is not smart enough to recognize an unformatted RAID volume.

There is nothing wrong with the RAID array as displayed by the Intel RAID utility. Note that the RAID ID of your volume is 0, or Disk 0 of any RAID volumes. Then note that each of your four HDDs is listed as a Member of Disk 0.

Each member of the array is not required to be in a certain order, or is in any type of order. You could change the SATA cables between the drives any way at all, and the array would work fine. Any characteristics unique to a member disk are stored internally in the RAID metadata, which is why any ordering of the disks is meaningless.

Hi Parsec,

Thanks for your help, and knowledge here - I am just about to get into your suggestions. FYI - see the post above for a screen capture from Partition Magic.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Hi again,

By "I would want to check it with the Windows IRST UI" do you mean the "iata_enu.exe" program at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=22194? Alternatively should I be downloading the appropriate program from the motherboard drivers downloads page Foxconn PRODUCT : Motherboard : Details?

Any further directions here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Hi Everyone,

I found this very useful tutorial on YouTube, and thought it worth promoting!

Kind Regards,

Davo

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Davo View Post
    Hi again,

By "I would want to check it with the Windows IRST UI" do you mean the "iata_enu.exe" program at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=22194? Alternatively should I be downloading the appropriate program from the motherboard drivers downloads page Foxconn PRODUCT : Motherboard : Details?

Any further directions here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo
    You can use either driver version, 11.7 will work with your board's SATA chipset.

Yes, that video shows the IRST Windows UI, installed via either of the IRST installation programs you listed.

While you can verify your RAID 10 configuration and the health of the array, etc with the IRST UI, you still need to initialize and format the array in Disk Management. Once that the initialization is complete, which you will be prompted to do when Disk Management starts, you'll see the array as a single unallocated volume. Formatting the volume will complete the process.

Partition Magic does not recognize the RAID volume, but hopefully will after the initialization and format. If it doesn't, then I would not use it. Trust IRST and Windows in this case.

Thread Information