After trial and error for a couple weeks I have finally settled my PC to effectively boot 3 UEFI systems. I have 3 HDDs (I did not have 1 drive with multiple partitions, each drive is partitioned per the OS needs) and have Ubuntu 14, Win8.1 and Win7 all 64bit all under UEFI.

Just wanted to document my steps (Final ones) that allowed me to boot correctly. This is ONLY for the Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev1 board. Some steps you can search the web and find ample instructions on each. My input below is just a beginning and end process.

Do not Do's:

• In Bios/UEFI (1.8ver) DO NOT turn on Fast Boot setting should be: Disable (other choices are Fast and Ultra Fast)
  • Do not use EasyBCD (will not work in UEFI)
  • Turn OFF Secureboot in bios (only if you plan to use Win7. So if your just doing an Ubuntu and Win8 dual-boot then you can use this Bios setting. BTW to even get Secureboot on this MOBO you will need to update your bios to BETA 1.81 which will give you the settings under the Security Section)

Step 1: install Windows (depending on the OS bootloader you want) I started with Win7 then Win8.

Step 2: Disconnect Windows Drives by removing Sata cable end (I do this cause I have had too many issues with Ubuntu deciding to install where-ever and making any mistakes and loosing windows.)
Step 3: Using a USB Ubuntu LiveCD do a full install (Do not boot into LiveCD, just boot off USB and install on Open drive)
Step 4: Allow Ubuntu to install using simple settings. Advance is your option.
Step 5: Boot into Ubuntu and install Boot-repair from catalog (do not use yet). Now shutdown completely.
Step 6: reconnect Win drive Sata cables you disconnected in 2
Step 7: Boot system to Bios (F2/Del): Navigate to Boot Page and do the following:
  • Boot Option Priorities: Option#1 Ubuntu, Option#2 Windows Boot Manager, Disable rest of the other options
  • Hard Drive BBS Options: Option#1 AHCI: <drive for="" ubuntu=""> , Option#2 AHCI: <drive for="" win8="">, Disable rest of the options</drive></drive>
  • FastBoot Disable (see comment above)

Step 8: Save/Exit Settings. Reboot to Ubuntu
Step 9: Once your in Ubuntu open the Boot-Repair app (was installed in 5) and run it. Just click the Simple repair and this will properly create the windows UEFI boot string and add an item to Grub2 menu
Step 10: Optional - Customize the Boot menu save and Reboot to Grub2 menu and your now done

With these steps you will have a Grub2 Bootloader with access to Ubuntu and link to the Windows Bootloader which will have Win 8 and 7.