Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CPU Speed Selection

Ok guys, I thought that after my RAID issues, I was done, but I guess not. My next issue is with my CPU Speed. Let me recap: I have a SOYO KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum with an AMD Athlon XP 2200 and 512MB of Crucial DDR333 memory. When I first installed the CPU, the POST showed up fine saying it was a 2200. However, once I finally got XP Pro on it I noticed that it was showing as a 1500. No biggie, just change the BIOS settings for the FSB and everything should be fine. Right? WRONG! By default, my CPU speed is set to 100MHz and the DRAM is set to SPD (meaning depending on DRAM clock) by default. I set the CPU to 133 and the DRAM to 166 to get the 266 and 333. However, once I did that, everything looked fine until it tried to load the OS. No errors, no beeps, just a black screen. I let it sit for a few minutes, but stull nothing. I rebooted and set the BIOS back to default and now the POST says XP 1500. I have sent an email to SOYO tech support and am awaiting an answer from them. Any ideas? Here is the link to the manual for the mobo. The CPU speed info is on page 41.

http://www.soyousa.com/dl/manuals/k7/mk7vxbpv12.pdf

What happens when ya set both the CPU and DRAM to 133MHz? :?:

Can't say off hand if I've tried that combination yet. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

A vast majority of motherboards using a chipset newer than KT266 have a jumper on the board that allows you to choose between a base 100 or 133MHz native FSB setting. Even my new EPoX 8K9A2 with the KT400 chipset has this jumper. Is it set properly?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

My motherboard has two jumpers. One to clear CMOS and the other to select USB 2.0 It looks like everything else is controlled in the BIOS.

Yeah it looks like your's is all in the BIOS. ;)

Wiggo, I tried setting both CPU and Memory to 133 and the problem is still there. Not to make myself sound stupid, (which sometimes cannot be helped) but what is the CPU ratio select option in the BIOS do?

Yeah silly wording there but that would have to be the multiplier adjustment which unless ya have an unlocked CPU should be set at AUTO. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I'm having the same problem with my ECS K7S5A mobo and an athlon xp 2000+
    default setting is 100mhz for cpu and 100mhz for the DRAM, my clock speed is 1.2 ghz when I start, at 100cpu and 133dram its still 1.2ghz total, and at 133/133 the computer freezes right when it starts, before the cpu speed is given, I tried updating from 256MB PC133 ram to 512MB pc2700 but I still get the same problem, any ideas would be appreciated.

The problem with the ECS K7S5A could very well be ya power supply as these boards demand a very high combined 3.3v & 5v total wattage which for that CPU will have to be over 200w so check the label on it and see the rating for those rails (a very common prob with this board). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information