Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Epox Mobos!!!!!!!

Alright, someone out there has to be able to help me out with this. I'm dying to get my hands on some parts so I can build my own pc. But I'm stuck with what mobo to use, I'm def going with Epox but I don't know if there are any really good ones out there that support both PC2100 and PC2700 RAM. I want to start out with PC2100 and upgrade when I have some more dough, and don't want to have to go and buy a whole new mobo. Any thoughts? Oh, not that it matters, but CPU will be AMD 1800 XP.

Sounds as if you have a setup very similar to mine. I use the EPoX 8K9A2 motherboard myself. It is based on the KT400 chipset, supports 8x AGP, has no worthless CNR slot on the end and is compatible with all new processors as well as official support of memory up to PC2700 (unoficial support of the 400MHz variety). It also has onboard sound and a second pair of USB slots on the rear panel. Other than this, there isn't a lot of extras but it goes in at under US$100 over at www.newegg.com

If you would prefer onboard LAN, Serial ATA and RAID, then you can get these on the EPoX 8K9A2+ board, but it goes in at about $30 higher on the price tag. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Any of their boards from the 8K3A upwards will do you and can run PC2100 up to Corsair XMS-3200 C2 (so far as I've tried anyway). It really depends on what options ya want and how future proof ya want it plus what you consider to be value. I've built many using EPoX boards plus 3 of my own PC's use them as well. The latest 8K9A series is well worth lookin' at as if ya upgrade to a Thoroughbred CPU later ya can change multipliers without havin' to unlock the CPU (seems that Barton maybe the same so far). :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

What about any of the new Albatron mobos, the ones that use the KT400, think they're called KX400+.

I agree with Darth, big thumbs up on the 8K9A2 - my T'Bred 2200+ is completely unlocked & currently running at 11x166=1833 (rather than the stock 13.5x133)

mine is the bare bones model as well - it doesn't even have the debug LED on it - but optional items include int. LAN, Serial ATA, IDE RAID, rounded IDE cables, and an LED lit N-Bridge HS. I got it for $145cdn (~$92USD).

Another note....on the first install - the board would not boot or post - on a hunch I pull it out & covered the metal case stand-offs with squares of black tape - put it back together & it ran fine.
    It was definately shorting out on the case. I'd heard rumours of that happening to people before, but never experienced it myself....needless to say - my PC building procedure will always include a bit of case insulation now :D

I'm a little confused about the whole 11x166 and the 13.5x133. What does it deal with and what does it change exactly?

The 13.5 and 11 figures refer to the clock multiplier on the processor. The 133 and 166MHz figures refer to Front Side Bus speeds. If you're still in the dark about this type of stuff, then I would point out the AMD Overclocking Guide that is available here aboard TweakTown. Even if you don't plan on overclocking yourself, it will give you some good knowledge as to what these figures mean and how they work within your system. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yeah, that's what I thought it was. I'm not planning on doing any overclocking so it doesn't matter, just making sure. One last question I think, I'm at Newegg.com and looking at the Epox mobos, what's the difference between the Ep-8K9A and the Ep-8K9A2?

I had an 8K9A before I got the 8K9A2 - unfortuneately it was a DOA - that's how I got the newer one (free upgrade too :thumb: )
    the 8K9a was Epox's first crack at the KT400chipset - the 8K9A2 was basically redesigned and incorporates additional features...I can't really go into a lot of specifics since I obviously wasn't able to play around with the 8K9A.
    Epox did the same thing with the KT133a chipset when they released the 8KTA, 8KTA2 and 8KTA3 motherboards...even though they used the same chipset - each was a step forward.

One thing to be aware of is that the Epox website lists the max. official FSB for the 8K9A as 266 - but for the 8K9A2 it's 333...I don't know what options are available in the bios...but it may reflect the PCI/AGp dividers that are available

I follow, so if I can spare the extra bucks go for the Ep-8K9A2.

Thread Information