Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Boot Priority

What should my boot priority be set at? Right now it is CDrom, HD, floppy. Also what would be the benefits of changing it?

THANKS

That's just fine I reckon:?:
    Provided your system can boot from CDROM without having to load drivers like a proper boot disk will do.

If you ever have need of booting from a floppy, like to run a HD utility or something, you can always change the boot sequence at that time.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

If your floppy drive is set as last, then why have one anyway? I like to have mine set to FDD, CD, HDD-0. This allows the floppy to be used for Flashing the BIOS without having to go into the BIOS and changing any settings beforehand. Also, even if there is a disk in the CD drive, it just ignores it unless it is bootable. Then it gives me a countdown to use this or reverting to the HDD for standard booting sequences.

It is really a matter of personal preference, but the FDD at the end makes no sense to me. :?:
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for the input guys!

Mine are always at Floppy/CDROM/HDD where possible. ;)

i always set mine to HDD only, and when i needa boot off floppy i can go into bios and change it if need be, besides, in an emergency if i cant access bios, the defaults are for floppy / cdrom / hdd

i like to get the fastest possible boot time out of my PCs so i find that manual setting HDDs and setting the bios to boot of HDD only (or wotever your options are) i get a quicker boot time than most.
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Yes, not searching for media in A: should save a sec or two.

I use A:, C:, CD

My ol' system won't boot a CD so no need to have it anywhere but last, and being as I have LILO on floppy A: has to be first for me to get into Linux.

In practice, I agree with Darthtanions statement regarding the position of A: in the boot order.
    But it sounded like HK_recoil knows how to change it when necessary so I said "fine".
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information