Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: how to screw motherboard in?? hehe

i'm confused on how to screw the motherboard in, you have those golden spacing screws, then what type of screw do you use to screw the motherboard into those and where do those copper things (i can't think of the name currently) go?
    <font color=red size=1>|</font><font size=1>T-bred AMD Athlon XP 1800+<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font><font size=1>Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>512 mb Corsair XMS PC3200<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font>Leadtek Winfast G4 Ti4200 w/ 8x support<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color = red>|</font>Maxtor ATA133 80 gb w/ 8mb cache<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Verbatim 48x12x50 CD-RW<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>Logitech Cordless Elite Duo<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Win XP Pro SP1<font color=blue>|</font>

ok 1st of all you want to look where you have holes in your motherboard, the screw holes are the ones that usually have a metal ring around them to protect them from the screw this is inprinted onto the motherboard. Then you what to put the copper thinngies that look like a spacer but have a place on the top to screw another screw into. thease you put on the inside of the case accordingly to where you have holes in your motherboard there usually is also a plasic spacer that goes in the middle of the motherboard because there usually there is no hole right in the center so make sure to put that in. then you place the motherboard onto the copper spacers and use regular philips screws that also can be tightened with an allan wrench since they have 6 sides on the top( thease should of came with your case) ... also the copper spaces should have 6 sides so you can easly tighten them onto the case. hope this helps

Don't over-tighten the brass standoffs. They can break off. Most mobos come with Phillips head screws that match the threads in the standoffs. These should be what I tell people "3 finger snug", meaning that you put your thumb, middle, and forefingers on the butt of the screwdriver and apply the torque by rotating your fingers, not your hand. Tighten too much and you can crack your mobo. I have no idea what "copper thingies" you have. One other note: when installing the mobo, don't drop it in flat and slide it to the left to position it. This can damage the underside of the mobo as it slides accross the standoffs. Put it in at a 15-20 angle (i/o side down), align it to the i/o plate, apply slight pressure toward the left, then drop the right side of the board down into place.

o... what if i put it in and slid it across to align it? is it most likely i damaged the bottom of the board?
    <font color=red size=1>|</font><font size=1>T-bred AMD Athlon XP 1800+<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font><font size=1>Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>512 mb Corsair XMS PC3200<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color=blue>|</font>Leadtek Winfast G4 Ti4200 w/ 8x support<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color = red>|</font>Maxtor ATA133 80 gb w/ 8mb cache<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Verbatim 48x12x50 CD-RW<font color=blue>|</font>
    <font color=red>|</font>Logitech Cordless Elite Duo<font color=red>|</font>
    <font color = blue>|</font>Win XP Pro SP1<font color=blue>|</font>

There are too many variables to say for sure that you will damage it, but it is a posibility. You can scratch the bottom of the board, bend pins that protrude from the bottom, etc.. I take it you have already installed the board and slid it sideways? Well, now you know for the next time.

Those "copper thingys" Max was talking about; is the small spacer that get screw in the case's panel then the mobo screws get screwed to that.

Another thing i have heard is thatalway have the right amount of studs ("copper thingys") that you are gonna use to screw. I have heard (dunno if its true) that if you have those touching the mobo but not used by a screw and short circuit the mobo. Just a precaution =)
    - Damien

Thread Information