Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Confused about my motherboard!

I have a Soyo sy k7vta pro motherboard with a VIA kt133 award chipset. I have now read in the new Tiger Direct magazine that they claim that this motherboard will take up to an AMD athlon xp 2600 chip!(I even called Tiger Direct and explained to them what I read and the guy I talked to claimed the chip WOULD work! That it was NO MISPRINT!) But when I went to soyos site...it said on their website that this motherboard would only take up to a AMD athlon xp 2100 chip! I have written emails to both AMD and Soyo but have not heard anything back. Does any one know if this board could possibly take that chip speed?? You can get the technical specs of the board here. http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...7vta-pro-4.htm (you can also choose other setions of this motherboard that they review in a little dropdown menu) Mabye some of you computer techs can check out this page and let me know if this MB is capable of handling that speed. Please post if you find anything. I will get the chip if it will work! Thanks. (PS THIS MAY BE A JOB FOR.............WIGGO!.......I would have said SUPERMAN! But I doubt he knows anything about motherboards! HE! HE!)

I seriously doubt that the board would properly support a Thoroughbred if at all let alone at that speed. And why would ya want to saddle a new CPU on an old SDRAM mobo that will only strangle it? :confused:

Better money would be spent by upgrading the mobo and memory to DDR standards first as this will show an improvement even with your old CPU. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I too agree that putting that fast a processor on this board would be silly, but I did manage to find that the kvtp2aa7.bin BIOS revision added support for:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+ support or above

So who knows, it may actually work. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for the replies! I guess I was hoping to avoid the hassle of getting a new MB and ram .....but in the end I guess it would be better that way!

Ya old CPU will breathe new live with the better mobo/memory setup (around 15-20% better in most cases). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information