Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Motherboard Suggestion??

HI,

I am about to start building my first computer. I do not know that much about motherboards. I do know that pretty much everything is based around your motherboard and a lot of different components have to be compatible. So the first thing I want to buy is the motherboard. Does anybody have any suggestion out there as to what is the leading brand or some of the top motherboards out there right now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

foledouse

are you building an AMD or Intel based system?
    what features are important to you -
    Int. Sound, Video, LAN , RAID, SATA, etc.?
    Do you OC?

I'm building an Intel system. As for sound and video I'm looking into buying a descent sounds system and a G3 or G4 with 128 SDRAM. I'm going to be using the pc mostly for gaming so I want a quick system.

Quote Originally Posted by foledouse
    I'm building an Intel system. As for sound and video I'm looking into buying a descent sounds system and a G3 or G4 with 128 SDRAM. I'm going to be using the pc mostly for gaming so I want a quick system.
    Alright, first off, the G3s and G4s are made by Apple, not Intel, Intel has the P3 and the P4. Next...if you are going to do RAM, don't even try to waste your time with normal SDRAM with the bandwidth-hungry P4, at the very least get DDR, though your best bet is 1066 Rambus.

Havn't seen any dual channel DDR figures lately then I take it? :rolleyes2

MSI, Asus and Gigabyte's Granite Bay boards have all been reviewed and Abit and Iwill have one in the works. These are dual DDR, and are on par if not beating Rambust configs, including PC1066 setups.
    IMO, Gigabyte's Granite bay board looks really good.
    Rambus will probably stick around, but I really wouldn't look at them now as dual-channel DDR is here. As I recall you'll be looking at around $200 for these boards---which is rather expensive.

If those are too rich for you're blood, I suggest checking out some of the nForce 2 boards. They have LAN, 5.1 channel sound (and it is very good), dual DDR channels (though it is not required to be run in a dual-channel config---but it doesn't hurt), optional dual VGA. You'd save a bundle with one of these boards, considering how much is integrated into it---and it's good to boot. Stabilitywise, these should be pretty solid based on experience with the original nForce. These also give you everything you'd need in a motherboard, save a CPU and RAM, and probably a video card (it's suggested you get an nF2 board without the integrated graphics since that would be a more powerful options---though the nF2 graphics are lightyears beyond anything else). Oh, BTW, these are Athlon only boards sadly. Abit, Asus, MSI, Epox, Chaintech, Shuttle, and a few others that slip my mind are making these boards. I have the Abit nForce 415 board (no integrated video) and it's been excellent. This time around, if I upgrade, the Chaintech board looks like the best option.

Anymore, 128MB of RAM isn't going to cut it---unless you're planning on running Linux or Windows 9x. The bare minimum you want is 256MB, though 512MB isn't a bad idea these days with Windows 2000 or XP (Pro or Home)

Thread Information