Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motherboard?

I'm ready to build my new gamer mobo, but after doing some research, I'm not sure what mb to buy. I'm looking for a mb that doesn't appear to exist yet. Here is what I'm looking for,
    -P4 with HT, so I can run 3ghz, running 533fsb
    -Rdram, rambus memory, 1066
    -APG 8x, like the AMD and DDR boards now have!
    -1394 firewire ports
    -USB 2.0
    -IDE ATA 100

It would also be extra, but a gig lan and ide raid would also be nice, but I can add that later. It would seem that we are on the edge and we should see new motherboards released. The new DDR mb's are now out, and they have all the latest stuff, like APG 8x, firewire, etc.

I'm considering the Intel D850EMV2L, which lacks HT Technology and only has a 4x APG slot. This is the board PC Gamer recommends for the Dream system. I'm also looking at the Asus P4T533. It only has a 4x APG slot. If this board had 8x APG and gig lan, it would be killer! Niether of these two boards have 1394 firewire ports, but the DDR board do!

We need new releases from Asus and Intel, like they both have done for the DDR boards. Why are they behind in the rambus boards, who knows???

Does anyone know of a GOOD mb that meets the specs of what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Steve

Why don't ya just get a "Granite Bay" motherboard which features dual channel DDR memory and even loaded with generic DDR memory it gives 1066 RDRAM a real battle. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Because as far as I can tell, rambus memory is still the choice for serious gamers. Not to mention that is still faster than DDR. Makes you think that DDR is slowly replacing Rambus, but I can't understand why.

Sure wish Asus and Intel would release new boards!

Steve

RDRAM is only very marginally faster than Granite Bay.
    You surely will not be able to tell the diff in day to day use. You will probably not even be able to tell the difference between a RDRAM system and a 845PE chipset system.

Well anyway if you have a lot of money to spend then get something with the 850E chipset which supports HT and USB2 and so on. No AGP8X though but that makes crap all diff anyway.

If you wait a bit you can save some money and get something with the Granite Bay chipset.

For the best bang for you buck i'd get something with the 845PE chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0357
    Because as far as I can tell, rambus memory is still the choice for serious gamers. Not to mention that is still faster than DDR. Makes you think that DDR is slowly replacing Rambus, but I can't understand why.

Sure wish Asus and Intel would release new boards!

Steve
    With a BIOS update or 2 and some new drivers, Granite Bay will probably beat out any 850E board. It's the end of the road for Rambust. In the reviews I've seen, the Granite Bay chipset is faster than a similarly configured system. AFAIK, the 850E is the last desktop chipset powered by RDRAM. Intel isn't gonna be dealing with it for much longer. It may come back in the future, but who knows. It's pretty dead in the water.

RDRAm really is going down slowly but surely...GRANITE BAY looks like its gonna do it job and some...with some patients you have yourself the GBay and really enjoy the qualities of DUAL DDR.

Where ever you heard that 1066 is the choice for gamers ...i am specualting its more of the choice for bragging rights nothing more...

Dual DDR you will be doing real nice and have something that isn't gonna go out of style right away.
    - Damien

Ok, thanks for all the info. That explains why the lack of good rambus motherboards. Who makes the best mb that uses the GRANITE BAY chipset, and has all the new stuff on it, like APG 8x and firewire, and of course the dual DDR? I heard ASUS has good DDR boards right now??

Thanks,

Steve

So, is this the best mb out there or what? Is this the one I should buy?

Steve

If you decide to go for 1066, then get the Asus board i have, it is rock stable and suports hyper thread cpu's.
    But it is true that it will become more expensive, if you would like to read about it click the link below. And one more thing, this board does only support agp 4x and not higher, but 8x does'nt do mutch improvment in performance anyways.

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t533-c/overview.htm

granite bay sure is the best chipset out there for the P4 however it is very expensive. The gigabyte one i have seen selling for $500 AUD!!
    For say around $300 you could get a good board with the 845PE chipset and get only marginally less performance and since you say this computer is for gaming I really think that the 845PE chipset will be plenty and you save a few bucks too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information