Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Flashing my BIOS

I think flashing any hardware is horrible for me. I always ruin my hardware. I tried to flash my bios on my MSI K7T266 and it ruined my bios. I couldn't hear my hard drive boot up and I couldn't see my bios. It's dead. I flashed it because my processor was only running at 200MHz FSB and it would not run at 266MHz because it would make my operating system very unstable. It won't even boot up when I get it to my acual cpu; which is an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz). There were two bios recovery options at the MSI website. One was for the Award BIOS and the other was for the AMI BIOS. I am not sure but I believe I have the AMI BIOS. I tried the method for the Award BIOS and it didn't work. Of course the AMI BIOS was the hard one to recover. It wanted me to make an Autoexec.bat file with the flash drivers that I used to flash my bios in. I don't know how to create an Autoexec.bat file. It's all at the MSI website.

Please help me.

All mobo manufactures are different...but Flashing a bios really isn't that difficult. Your manual should have it. To flash mine (Abit), i made a bootable floppy so i can boot off of it in pure DOS mode. Then i downloaded the FLASH Utility from ABit's website and the actual update. Then, i did that i dragged the FLASH Utility into the bootable floppy as well as the "BIN" file bios update from its folder. I booted from the floppy and entered this command (plz make sure to look at your manual or MSI's Website it can be different)
    A:\> awdflash kx7_b6.bin /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r

Again this is for my abit i have a KX7-333R MSI could be different.
    - Damien

Bios recovery for mine can be found here:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/html/support/bios/note/boot.htm

I don't remember but I think I have AMI BIOS.
    I don't know how to make an autoexec.bat file.

If you have AMI there is no reason to make a autoexec boot disk. Instead read the instructions AMI BIOS.
    - Damien

Oh I see. That is for Award BIOS. I have AMI BIOS. I tried to recover it that way but I didn't get any beeps. I didn't hold those keys down for two minutes and I am not sure if I am doing anything right.

I found out that I flashed it with the wrong version of my motherboard. Which bios flash do I put on a floppy disk to start up the bios?

I would think the BIOS update for your Mother board would be the fourth one on this MSI BIOS UPDATE LIST .

Updating to the wrong BIOS or updating incorrectly may cause your motherboard to become a permanent paperweight. Forcing you to change the BIOS chip on your MOBO or buying a whole new board. Most of the time you are probably better off buying a new board.

Did you refer to you MSI Motherboard manual before flashing your BIOS?
    - Damien

Flaco for your board, Abit always makes batch files that you can dl with the Bin that will do those commands for you... so all you have to type is runme.bat

Thread Information