Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soyo Dragon+

Ok guys........got a problem here. I have a Soyo Dragon+ mobo that I have had for over a year. Started with a Duron 1G cpu, then swapped to a Duron 1.3G and everything was cool. Of course, I needed more speed (don't we all?) Next purchase was an XP1800. (soyo sez this board will support a 2100xp). Installed the XP and I get no boot, no video, nothing. All fans run, the green light on the mobo is lit, hsf is running (Dragon Orb 7200rpm). All HDD's runnining, cd's etc. Used plenty of arctic silver for the cpu. My psu is a 400w unit so I have plenty of power. 512megs of ram. Os is Windows XP. Keep in mind, same case, same mobo. Of course I cleared the cmos, to no avail. flashed the bios to the latest offered. MBM sez my current cpu runs @ 98-107 degrees f. When I re-install the Duron 1.3 all is well.
    I have a buddy who has the same mobo in his machine, and it does the same thing. Tried the cpu on a different mobo and the cpu is fine. I know I am missing something, but what??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! This thing is about to drive me nuts! Oh yeah, and I also tried to get into the bios when you first start it up by pressing the insert key, but nothing doing.Thanks!
    The human brain...............the world's first cpu

Some motherboards require you to leave the jumper on the alternative tabs for a while before the CMOS actually clears. Maybe try to manually set the mainboard to look for the processor speed automatically? Maybe even set it to the standard speed and multiplier setting for your new XP processor.

Just a couple of thoughts that may get you jump started. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yeah, I wish it was that easy. That's Soyo's claim to fame as this is a "jumperless" mobo. It is supposed to pick up the cpu automatically (which it did for the Durons). Lets you overclock in the bios. but..................since I can't even get into the bios, that's where my problem lies.

I even set the bios to the XP settings before shutting the machine off just to see if that would work..........no such luck! (without clearing the cmos)

Hmm... I'll search around when I get a bit of time to see if I can come up with something else. Should be something simple, but my little brain isn't working at full power. Busy as all get-out this time of year. :)

Where from in West Texas?
    My Toys

San Angelo.............you know, @ least 100mi from anywhere!! Appreciate the help.

Ok..............here is the soultion! Soyo just posted this on their website on 12/18. Two different XP processors. 1st one is a Palomino which is a model 6 (0.18 microns) , second one is a Thoroughbred which is a model 8 (0.13 microns). Soyo Dragon+ does NOT support the model 8 cpu! Nice......... Oh well now we know! Thanks for the help. @$#$%^%%$##@!@!*&^! (thanks Soyo):shoot3:

Well, that would explain why the basic fixes didn't work. Guess it is time for an upgrade then. :D

Amarillo here. Getting ready for some rough weather here pretty soon. They're saying it is likely we'll get "significant snowfall" at the beginning of the week. Who knows, maybe the daughter will get to have a white Christmas after all. :)
    My Toys

Happy New Year! did you get any snow out of that mess? We just got clouds and wind. Still have roses on the rose bushes!!! Winter in west Tx. Jeeez Think I might start looking @ Epox boards again. Showing a good possibility of overclocking this Tbred. hehehehehe

Yes, we ended up with around six inches of the white stuff just before Christmas. Had some flurries today, but they were blowing so hard with the winds that they didn't have a chance to stick.

Look at the nForce2 boards. I thoroughly enjoy my 8K9A2 (KT400) board, but folks have been having tremendous luck with overclocking those nVidia based mainboards. And they also allow you to manipulate the multiplier without having to manually unlock the processor (Thoroughbred only).
    My Toys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information