Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K7VZA rev 1.0 wont enter setup

Greetings:

I have a K7VZA Motherboard rev. 1.0 with the 2/2000 BIOS; it worked well until last month when it would not boot. I put the Motherboard in a new system, just a video card and tried to run. It identifies the AMD processor and does the 262MB memory check then the message "CMOS checksum error - defaults loading". I try to enter setup "DEL" but it just hangs. I have also reset the BIOS, removed power from the board, but nothing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Can someone please tell me why ppl buy these elcheapo mobo's? :(

The checksum error will come up for a lot of reasons (from a flat CMOS battery to conflicting settings) but it would help a great deal if ya tell us ya complete hardware setup plus if anything happened just prior to this problem. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The EPoX K7VZA is actually not a bad MB...I have it in my 3rd system with a T-Bird 850 PCB version 3.0.... it's rock solid stable, and I have had it for about 2 years. Very basic, yes and not much OC'ing features, but still it's a good board.

That's not my point though.

Yeah some more info would be nice, and that would let us help you solve your problem.... maybe that is your problem, I heard that the PCB 1.0 had some flakiness attached to it.
    It's the one that says "BAD MOTHERFUC*ER" on it...
    Thermaltake Xaser II A5000 (with 5 fans)
    300W Enermax EG301-PVE dual fan PS
    Win XP Home
    2.26Ghz P4 533 Bus
    MSI 845PE MAX2-FIR MB
    MSI GF4 MX 440 64 Mb DDR
    1.0GB PC2100 DDR
    80Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
    SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1
    3.5 Mbps / 800 Kbps DSL

Since when have EPoX anything to do with ECS, http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/k7vza/? :confused:

I have more links if ya ain't convinced. ;)

Sorry it must have been the full bottle of cough syrup I drank this morning.
    I have an EPoX board too (for my K6-2 500)

NyQuil and Sudafed..... it's the 13th fuc*ing step!!
    It's the one that says "BAD MOTHERFUC*ER" on it...
    Thermaltake Xaser II A5000 (with 5 fans)
    300W Enermax EG301-PVE dual fan PS
    Win XP Home
    2.26Ghz P4 533 Bus
    MSI 845PE MAX2-FIR MB
    MSI GF4 MX 440 64 Mb DDR
    1.0GB PC2100 DDR
    80Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
    SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1
    3.5 Mbps / 800 Kbps DSL

Here are more details about the history of the problem. The motherboard had been working well in my wife’s computer for about 1 to 2 years, with the exception of turning it off, it would require several tries to get the monitor (NEC 17”) to go out of power save mode (amber light) into the working mode (green light). I thought this was because of the Diamond AGP video card, which did not have a driver from the company to run under Windows 2000. So, we got into the habit of leaving her computer on, and all was fine. Well, we went on a 2 week vacation and when we returned, I was unable to get her machine to come back to life. I thought it was the same problem with what I thought was the Power Save functions within the video card, motherboard and operating system, but in the past I had been able to get the monitor / computer to finally talk to each by holding in the power button on the monitor, turning it on/off repeatedly and resetting the computer. This time, it would not come back. Well, it was not acceptable that she didn’t have access to her computer, so I purchased another motherboard/processor combination, and installed it. Had to start fresh with a new hard drive but was able to have her old drive as a secondary drive, and was able to recover the important data. Now to where we are. I took the old motherboard and put it in a new box, 300 watt power supply and used a new video card (NVIDIA TNT2 PRO 16MB AGP 3-D VIDEO CARD) that would have the appropriate drivers for W2K and XP. This is what happens:

Turn the monitor on/ and the computer (again, it may take several resets on the computer to get it to talk with the monitor – thought this was a video card problem, but maybe not), then when I am able to see the boot sequence on the monitor it looks like this:

“Award Modular Bios v 6.00 PG An Energy Star Ally”
    “K7VZA ver 3.0g 12/20/2000”
    Main Processor: AMD Duron ™ 650 MHz
    Memory Test: 262144K – OK

Primary Master: WD 300 AB – 00BPA1
    Secondary Master: CD-950E

(Originally I received the message “CMOS checksum error – Default loading”, but after removing the 3 volt lithium battery and testing it (3.05 volts), and replacing it, I have not received the checksum error again).

Hit F1 to continue ESC to Enter Setup

If I hit ESC, the screen just goes blank with the cursor flashing in the top left of the screen.

If I hit F1, I get the standard boot screen showing the PCI & IDE installation. It then goes to the message : verifying DMI Pool Data and hangs. It adds dots (…..) at the end of the DMI Pool Data message, and each time it seems to have a different number of dots ranging from 2 to 11. Once it actually went to look for a boot disk in drive A. Sometimes I can power the unit down and then not able to have it bring up the monitor.. I have also reseated the video card, and the memory modules.

Just as a matter of interest, when was the last time that the dust was cleaned out of it and mostly the heatsink? :?:

When the motherboard was removed from my wife's machine it was blown clean including the circulating fan on the AMD processor; there is no dust left..

I only asked as you would be surprised at just how many PC's I get to repair that that's their only prob.

Oh have ya also cleared the CMOS or selected Safe Defaults in the BIOS? :?:

Thanks for the ideas; I have moved the jumper on the motherboard for the "clear CMOS" jumper to the "clear CMOS position; removed power to the board (Plug from the power supply) for about 30 minutes and then put it back in the normal position. Powered it up again and same results. I even removed / checked the lithium battery and re-seated the connection for the battery. I am beginning to think that it may be a bad BIOS and several people have suggested that I download a new one but dont you have to be able to enter setup to do this? Also if you know of where I could purchase a new ROM chip with the BIOS already burned? Thanks, Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information