Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-7VAXP Raid and 3200 memory

I have just purchased the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with Raid, 8x AGP and KT400 chipset. I also purchased some 3200 DDR memory. 1x256 to be exact. However, when I set the memory speed to 400Mhz in the bios the computer beeps once at the beginning of the restart and fails to do anything else. It takes a motherboard reset to start up again.

I purchased the 3200 DDR memory in the belief that that was 400Mhz memory of which the motherboard supports. The lower 2700 DDR being 333Mhz. So why does the computer fail when the 400Mhz setting is enabled.

For your info I have a 1.6Ghz AthlonXP (266mhz) and the bus is set at 133Mhz to support this. I did think that the bus speed being 333Mhz was the problem but then I was told that the memory and bus speeds are independent.

Can someone please explain and even help me resolve the problem so I can run my memory at 400Mhz.

Ok ya just answered ya own question there. For ya to run the memory at 200MHz you must first have the FSB for the CPU at 166MHz (but you must first unlock ya CPU before ya can run your CPU at the 166MHz FSB as this takes lowerin' the multiplier). With what you have a 166MHz memory speed is needed then ya raise the FSB till ya find somethin' else that will stop ya. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I've never used that MB - but my Epox KT400 board has 3 selectable memory speeds @ a 133FSB - 133, 166 & 200

You would think that would be common among KT400 boards

Looks like I might have to obtain one KT400 mobo to be sure but I'm nearly positive that the KT400's 166MHz/200MHz settin's is just an extension to the KT333's 133MHz settin' +33MHz again (now if I lost ya then hang in there), now as far as I know (but someone can correct me if I've got this total wrong) the memory can only work at a maximum of +33MHz over the FSB. Infact if I remember rightly (to lazy and tired to go upstairs to be sure but havn't the settings always been -33MHz/1:1/+33MHz? I know that sounds a little confussin' but I think that those rules still apply with the KT400 but the confusion occurs in the only way the manufacturers had of implimentin' those extra 33MHz for each one.

thankfully I will go to sleep in 5 hrs after another trip to the hospital with my son as by then I'd have been awake 48hrs.

Hi RDR & Wiggo,

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, to answer RDR, the bios in the motherboard does have the 3 setting you said but shows them with the doubled figures (266, 333, 400) when in 133mhz bus mode which it is now (not that I've tried any other). It also has a 'by SPD' setting. The memory successfully operates on all settings apart from the 400 which causes the boot failure. Do you have a 133mhz bus speed and your memory set at 200/400?

And finally, Wiggo, thanks for the help but unfortunately I don't think I am competent enough to start unlocking a processor. So my question to you is, with my bus set at 133mhz, are you saying I can only run my 3200 memory at a max of 333mhz? and if I want to run it at 400Mhz I have to unlock or buy a processor that allows a bus of 166Mhz?

I admit that although I have an understanding I am new to this so apologies if my descriptions are difficult to understand. And for my own sanity, what is 'by SPD' as it doesn't say in the manual?

Many thanks

gstephensonuk

Yes basically that's what I meant but..

With your CPU set at 133MHz (266DDR) and memory set to 166MHz (333DDR) isn't as bad as ya think, in fact it's the best for seein' how far ya can push the CPU's FSB without ever havin' to worry about ya memory holdin' ya back. If you can get that FSB up to 145-150MHz then the memory will still be running at full on timings at 178-183MHz and still have headroom. :devil win

:flames:
    I also have a ga-7vaxp with AMD 1800+ running at 266MHZ and one strip of Corsair Extreme pc3200 512mb. I run it most of the time at cas2 and 333MHZ but I have no problem running it at 400MHZ, with the cpu not overclocked and running at 266.

It does seem to run better with memory at 333MHZ and I suspect it has to do with the cpu at 266, I plan to get new 333MHZ cpu when the price drops a bit.

If you have some value ram maybe that is the problem.

Thread Information