Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A7V266-E & IRQ planning

Hi Folks,

The manual includes a section on IRQ sharing between pci/agp slots. Does WinXP remove the concern for devices that share IRQs ? (AGP and Firewire for example ?)

System was installed to avoid conflicts, but I want to move a few cards around for heat reasons.

Even if XP handles the sharing, will this cause problems in Linux ?

TIA,
    Greg.
    AthlonXP 2100+ | Volcano 7+ | ASUS A7V266-E| 512mb DDR PC2100PS: EG365P-VE | 80gig IBM Deskstar Hd | 60gig IBM HD| MSI GF4 Ti4200 128 Megs| 24x10x40 Lite-ON| Cooling: 2 Thermaltake 80mm 37cfm fans, 1 x 90mm 56CFM| CPU 42C/46C & Case @ 26c

Ok but I hope that this makes sence to ya. :D

Most modern setups are very happy with Windows lookin' after everything on one IRQ (though some setups, mainly older hardware or containin' some, don't like this idea). ;)

Now if I understand rightly for you to get out of that is to format and reinstall Windows in "Standard PC" mode (someone else can better explain that part as I'm to new to that os or put me right if I'm wrong as I've heard of it bein' done but the results don't last long). : peace2:

As for Linux bein' effected, NO. Only while Windows is operatin' are the IRQ's bein' controlled by it. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wiggo - are you referring to "PNP OS" being set to 'No' in the BIOS ? I turned this off a while ago, and it seems that XP either doesn't care, or has adjusted.

I guess I can 'ghost' the drive and give it a try. I'm running with the AGP Ti4200, Firewire card, and 3COM NIC. Not a lot in there, so I'm not too worried. Of course, I'll be adding fans before I even try moving cards.. I suspect I won't have to ;)
    AthlonXP 2100+ | Volcano 7+ | ASUS A7V266-E| 512mb DDR PC2100PS: EG365P-VE | 80gig IBM Deskstar Hd | 60gig IBM HD| MSI GF4 Ti4200 128 Megs| 24x10x40 Lite-ON| Cooling: 2 Thermaltake 80mm 37cfm fans, 1 x 90mm 56CFM| CPU 42C/46C & Case @ 26c

Any Win9x os or under I don't hesitate to answer but I've only been usin' XP for a relatively short time (I'm typin' this on a SE guided system atm ) and all the installs have gone perfectly so far just the way I do them now so I havn't been forced to delve into it to far which is why I'll leave the rest for someone else to clear up. : peace2:

<center> </center>

Thread Information