Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ECS K7S5A flameout

Does anybody know what kind of damage is done to a motherboard when a power source flames out? I saw a puff of smoke from the fan vent of the power source....my board must have fried, as it won't boot... the chip was spared, the memory is okay....but the board appears to be in rigor mortis.
    Can this problem be addressed by changing some part of the motherboard, or should I hang it in the barn?
    Can I resurrect this thing?

Quite frankly turf it as there are many more much better mobo's around and it likely killed the PSU on ya. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

trash the mobo and get a new better one...and a new psu
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

ECS is crap, plain and simple. There is a very good reason to pay a bit more for a better motherboard, and that can be summed up in one word: quality. PSUs aren't the only thing that ECS has trouble with. Certain modems and video cards come into trouble here (avoid BroadXtent or Creative modems---well, avoid Creative anything really:rolleyes: )

Also, avoid FIC---also a crappy company. Support? What's that?

What companies I would recommend?

Asus, Abit, Iwill, MSI, Tyan, SuperMicro (Intel only currently), and AOpen.

I've not had good luck with Epox and the stores around here all say Epox isn't the greatest in quality. That tends to differ around here, with that being highly recommended. I will state for the record that my first two on the avoid list were the worst to deal from the start. The Epox actually worked fairly well until it croaked on me.

Lately I've gotten pretty fond of Iwill. They have reasonably priced boards and they work as well as Asus---only they can usually be found for quite a bit less.

Thanks for all replies, and Morgan, your list of good boards is about right...I also run an Asus and an Abit, both good....no problems there. I'm going to use an MSI soon, so we'll see!

Just one thing, where Morgan has a thing with EPoX, I also have one with MSI mobo's. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

To each his own. I know plenty of people online that are happy with Epox, so they don't suck for everyone.

Thread Information