Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: matching moterboards and RAM?

As someone who is new to building computers Im having a lot of trouble figuring out what RAN goes with which motherboard. I know your supposed to match certain mother boards with certain RAM but the way different RAM(DDR-Rambus RAM etc) rate their speeds is confusing. The motherboard I want to buy is the ASUS A7N8X deluxe which has 3X 184 pin DIMM sockets. Should they be filled with all same RAM, with the same MB and made by same manufacturer? The specs. say the board will run best when run with memory in synchronous mode with the CPU bus. I also plan on getting the AMD Athlon XP 2700 which has a 333 FSB. Im not sure how to match that with my memory(RAM). The motherboard has a FSB 333/266/200 MHz. I want this computer to be pretty fast(real fast). Any suggestions? Would goin up to AMD Athlon XP 2800 be worth it? Thanks.
    :thumb:

that modo uses ddr266, 333, and 400

I would get the the DDR400 if i were you (PC3500)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

it also has a dual channel memory controller - so get 2 dimms (i.e 2 x 256MB rather than 1 x 512MB)of DDR400 for maximum performance

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    that modo uses ddr266, 333, and 400

I would get the the DDR400 if i were you (PC3500)
    DDR400 is PC3200....PC3500 runs at 433MHz (effective)
    although neither is a real JEDEC spec

oops, typo =)

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    it also has a dual channel memory controller - so get 2 dimms (i.e 2 x 256MB rather than 1 x 512MB)of DDR400 for maximum performance
    what about 2 x 512mb? overkill?

anyhow.. i think getting a memory with cas2.0 vs 2.5 also helps but of course.. itll cost ya.

Quote Originally Posted by tukinnam
    what about 2 x 512mb? overkill?
    never! how could you overkill on 1024 GB of RAM on Dual Channel?

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    What does that mean? and how does it work?

argh, there it is again.
    Athlon only supports 333 system bus, yet people telling him to get the more expensive 400 DDR ram. And from what I've read is less stable an actually hurts performance when not overclocked. From benchmark tests an what I've read 333 is the fastest stable DDR, anything higher an you see problems when not overclocking.
    Stability in overclocking is the only reason to buy 400DDR.
    And from my experiences with overclocking, it just shortens the life of your computer(CPU) exponentially. Even with heat sinks, case fans, ect.
    I dont see why overclocking memory would do any different.
    You people shouldnt just tell others to go buy this or that. Gonna cost people money by doin that an they not gonna get what they were wanting. Tell them why they should get it an what its good for.

I agree with you cigg :thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information