Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: KT400 vs. nForce 2

Hi all a im gonna upgrade my comp to an Athalon XP system from a Athalon(AMD kicks ass )I was wondering what chipset is the best. I have the KT133-B right now on a Soyo SY-K7VTA-B mobo. I really like soyo, and i want to stick with them, but they only sell VIA chipsets right now. There boards also kickass, so if its i minor difference i would go with soyo and the VIA chipset. I know that the nForce 2 has a great dolby digital decoder built in, and is prob. better then my SB Live Digital, but i dont care. So if anyone can point out some really good things that stand out about the chipsets, please tell me

ATM the nForce2 is a few streets in front of the KT400 which is a suburb/town/village/etc in front of anything else. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Well, let me see if I can put to words why the nForce2 chipsets are better...

- Better performance
    - Better memory support
    - Attains higher clock speeds when overclocking

This is just a taste. If the nForce2 boards had been out when I was in the market for an upgrade, then I would have one now instead of the KT400 board that I current;y have. The KT400 isn't a slug, so don't get me wrong, but the nForce2 is really the better chipset overall.

Also, concerning Soyo boards, they're beginning to get a bit shoddy when it comes to overclocking. And lets face it, if you weren't interested in overclocking, then you'd probably have an Intel.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I personally have two Nforce2 boards so I definately think its the chipset to get at the moment. That said, there is some very interesting things coming our way soon.

First the new SiS 746(?) chipset which seems to be a worthy competitor to Nforce2 boards, specially in value line.

second, the new KT400a chipset - which might or might not come. If it does however expect it to be right there with Nforce.

We live interesting times ...

..I'll drink to that!

Andy

Thanks guys ...:cheers: :cheers:
    That all i need. I probably will still get the Soyo Board, because i wont do serious overclocking. And i see what u meen about the Soyo. My current soyo baord doesnt do very well in overclocking, but i emailed the techsupport guy and he said it has improved, although he did not really respond to the question i asked. Since i currntly have i soyo i think i will just stick with them since they have good quality and i dont plan to do another clean install and just keep the system up and running.
    Thanks again:cheers: :cheers:

Well, In my opinion.. the Nforce 2 SPP with the MCP-T chipet is an awesome combo.... currently as you said, Soyo doesn't support the Nforce chipet yet. The VIA chipets are awesome also and stable.... but right now if you would go VIA, don't go KT-400... the KT-333 is better and mroe stable than the KT-400. However! The Nforce will blow the VIA chipet out of the water on performance, speed, and maybe stability. The Nforce is more for someone who is into overclocking, gaming or any hardcore computing.... the VIA i would recomend the Soyo KT-333 Dragon Ultra... the Nforce, i would reccomen the Asus A7N8X Deluxe model. Again the Nforce is mroe for gaming and more demanding programs today in my opinion and the VIA is more for users who aren't demadning that extra mile out of there PC. I would go with the NFORCE 2 SPP, MCP-T chipset and reccomend the ASUS A7N8X (DELUXE)

I also am gona go with the asus A7N8X delux nforce2 mobo. I love the specs and I am very comfortable with the asus name.
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

i think im gonna go with the EPoX 8RDA+ or something like that. But i may just wait until the Clawhammer comes out. Dont know.:cheers: :cheers:

You could be waiting awhile if ya do. At least mid year at the earliest, but probably more like fall or so.

Okies early reviews of the KT400A still has it fallin' short of the nForce2 (a bit of an improvement on the bungled KT400 which wasn't much better than the KT333) plus ya won't be able to grab an Athlon64 till around September anyway.

Thread Information