Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Economical mobo?

Here's my situation. By nature, I am a "spare no expense" kinda guy. However, my Dad is the complete opposite. Now, tomorrow I am accompyning my Dad to a computer show to upgrade his pIII 450MHz 4 year old computer to a new state-of-the-art system, within reason according to him. Now give me a grand (or two) and I'll build ya the best of the best. But what would you guys recommend as a cheap (pricewise), mobo that is not neccesarily the best overclocker. I may try to OC the board a little bit, but once it's set-up that's it. No more playing around with it. Just has to be stable. He wanted a board that still supportd PC-133 (ewwwwww), but I succesfully talked him into at least PC2100. Thank God!
    So any suggestions? I shop at 9AM tomorrow
    Thanks

It would be helpful to know whether you're looking for AMD or Intel.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Sorry, my bad. I'd prefer Intel.

Ah... then I'll leave this one to the Intel aficionados as I have been using AMD for the past few years now. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The Gigabyte 8PE667 Pro is the mobo that my P4 2.4B @ 2.7GHz sits in and is very stable though DDR2700 is what you'll need for this one. ;)

Ahhh, the 8PE667. I have the Ultra runnin' a P4 2.4 at just shy of 3 GHz with a 165 FSB and a gig of CorsairXMS PC3500. I would recommend that in a heartbeat, but I was hoping for something under $100, or REALLY close to it. That is one of my favorite mobos though.

Newegg lists the MSI 845PE Max for $80 + shipping. It's a pretty basic board, but it's a good brand and sports the 845PE chipset so you could put in a Hyperthreading enabled P4.

Thread Information