Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New motherboard

Time to upgrade. I'm looking for:
    2+Ghz up to 1G memory ...
    I need suggestions on a Motherboard + processor + memory technology. Need a quiet machine!
    I plan to:
    MP3 jukebox
    Music Mixing (SB AudII Platnum)
    Video/picture editing

I'm looking to spend < $1,000.00 on CPU/motherboard/memory.
    Who's the up to date PC expert out there?

P4 solution: Granite bay mobo chipset
    pc 3100 ram
    radeon 9500 or 9600 or ti4200
    P4 2.4 ghz (can overclock to near 3ghz!!)

Athlon solution:Nforce 2 chipset
    2 sticks of DDR333
    Athlon 2700+(overclocks quite well too)
    radeon 9500 or 9600 or ti4200
    Hope this is a good guideline:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Here's where it's @ for a good fast cheap machine! The prices are straight from newegg:

ECS K7S5A $55 bucks (Onboard LAN, Audio)
    Athlon XP 2200+ $97.00 maybe a 2600+ for $219.00
    KINGSTON KVR266X64C25/512 512MB DDR PC2100 - OEMCL2 $52 bucks, I would double up on the 512's and go for a gig of PC2100 (The boards max, but quite more than enough :O)
    SBlive! or Audigy (Cause the onboard audio sucks!) $35
    Lian-Li PC-7B USB, 12-Bay, Aluminum Cases. Color: Black/Silver $107 dollers
    Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW Model LTR-4824S OEM $47 bucks
    Chaintech Geforce4 4600 "GT61" VIVO Retail with games $213
    WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 40GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD400BB -CAVIAR OEM, DRIVE ONLY $69 bucks
    Viewsonic E70B 17" - Retail CRT Monitor $125
    Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical - Twin Optical Sensors USB and PS2 $31
    ORtek MCK-800 Multimedia Keyboard. BEIGE. PS2. Built-in 16 Multimedia hot keys (6 Programmable keys). $9 bucks

This all adds up to 1012 dollers with the 2600, and the 2 sticks of DDR. W/out subtract about 150 dollers, from 1012 you get 862. And you probably have spare things such as a CRT monitor and keyboards and/or mice that you want to use! If you build this system it will be a beast :O) It may look very similar to mine, but let me tell you it's great :thumb:! And you surely do get the best bang for your buck, something that I am always looking for! My Current box runs GTAIII the smoothest I have seen it run on any box around, with absolutly no slowdowns whatsoever @ 1024x768 resolution, and 16 bit color. Let me tell you that in itself is a feat :bounce: You can always get some cheaper parts, especially the lian li case, and end up with it costing you around 750 total still with the Athlon XP 2200+, and 512 of kingston DDR, and ALL the other parts. This is just a model of what do build your system around, but it's gaurunteed to give you the performance you want! For windows I recommend XP Pro for this board, and for Linux any i686 optimized distro should suit you well. (The system makes an EXCELLENT linux performer :O) My box screams right now and I am very happy I built it the way I did. A little note though is that you always want the latest stuff especially the BIOS in the ECS K7S5A which I recommend the HoneyX modified BIOS for maximum stabability and the ability to overclock. If you don't overclock this has to be the best deal on earth you could get :O) Either that or pick the Nforce series of motherboards which I hear are excellent and rather cheap! But I would stick with the ECS K7S5A, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Take note that the best bang for your buck deal is going with an AMD system, I would steer clear away from a Pentium based board, as they ummm have the tendency to spontaneously
    combust :wink:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Since it sounds like: you will not be doing oc'ing, are looking for quiet, and could use performance out of the box, I would suggest:

PC2700 512mb cl2 2ea. @ $62 = $124

XP2500 (333mz,512mb L2) retail (includes quiet stock fan) $173

MSI K7N2-L motherboard (N-Force chipset) $84 (free shipping coupon on Pricewatch)

Total = $381

All prices from Pricewatch this date and include shipping.

Thread Information