Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal amount of RAM for w A7V333-X

Current system:
    AMD XP2100+
    ASUS A7V333-X Bios Ver 1003
    Kingmax PC2700 256MB RAM
    ATI 8500LE 64MB
    Windows XP SP1, Virtual PF memory set on auto
    120GB WD 1200JB
    180GB IBM 180GXP Deskstar

Can someone please tell me the ideal size of RAM I need to give me the best performance? I had read somewhere that 256MB was the ideal size and anything more you would not notice a significant performance boost. I plan on doing some video encoding using my MGI Videowave software so I head the more RAM the better. But even before using it I was getter a lot of warnings from XP that my Virtual Memory PF was too low and it was increasing my size and performance would be affected. When I see the Task Manager I always have at least 75MB of my 256MB free. I notice my initial settings was fixed at 384MB of Virtual memory but I changed it to auto. Will more RAM significantly improve my performance? If so how much. Where I notice my system slowing down is when I play back DivX videos using RealOne or when I transfer large video files from one partition to another. Will RAM significantly help reduce the performance and if so how much 512MB 1 GB???

Also if I do get more RAM is it safe to mix brands? For example I've got Kingmax but if I add another 256MB of Kingston RAM will my system have compatibility or instability problems?

You should have at least 512mb, that is ideal, although if you have the money, a gig wouldnt hurt anything, but especially since youll be encoding, up it to 512

There is no "ideal ram amount". Much depends on your os and what apps you intend to run. There are sensable levels taking these things into consideration and based on price/performance benefit. 256mb is generally considered a sensable plateau for Win98, while 512 is generally accepted for Winxp. 1gb will help with things like manipulating video but it may help very little compared to its cost due to other bottlenecks in a system.

Virtual memory has nothing to do with ram (except that is what Windows uses when you run out of real ram). It is hard drive space that can substitute for ram.

I quit using stuff from Real a long time ago because I felt their apps were real resource hogs. this may or may not be true today. Someone else might have more info on that though.

OK if the concensus is at least 512MB then how about different size modules such as a 256MB and a 512MB for a total of 768MB, also using Kingmax with Corsair or Kingston?

Most concerned with stability.

Some mobos seem to tolerate mixed brands of ram just fine, while others choke. Different sized modules of the same brand and speed should do just fine.

Thanks. I'm curious do you really think there is a noticable speed difference between Corsair which is said to be the fastest and say Kingmax? As long as the specs are the same, i.e. DDR333 PC2700 they should have the same performance right?

Corsair might have better performance by boosting a test score by a few points but in the REAL world I don't think there is much of a difference. Do you agree?

I know for a fact that Corsair XMS2700 is much faster than Kingmax PC2700 (I use both brands, Corsair for highend PC's and Kingmax for the lowend) because the Corsair has more aggressive timings than the Kingmax plus in the real world it does show (if ya look).

Well I hope the Corsair is faster since it costs about 30% more! I'll save the purchase of Corsair for my next PC which should be a higher end Intel. I don't know if it is my imagination but as a first timer using an AMD it seems to be a bit buggier than the Intel platform. Especially when I play back big video files.

I'm the opposite and find my P4 2.4 @ 2.7GHz to be a slug when compared to my Athlons. Be sure that ya installed the latest VIA motherboard drivers as soon as the os is loaded and before ya load any other drivers (this is the biggest mistake that ppl comin' to an AMD/VIA platform make by not getting this order right).

OK now you've got my attention. I just went on the ASUS website and notice there are three updates I have not installed yet.

1) a Utilities from VIA 4in1_443.zip V.4.43 2002/11/29
    2) a LAN Driver from broadcom 4401_653.zip V.6.5.3 2002/11/29
    3) an Audio Driver alc650_wdm329.zip V.5.10.0.3990 2002/11/01

Here are my questions:

How can I tell if I've got the latest VIA drivers? the utilities from VIA are as they say utilities and not drivers correct?

The LAN and Audio driver, I'm a wee dit nervous downloading drivers when everything seems to be working fine since I heard that unnecessary upgrades could lead to more problems.

I've got Windows XP SP1a installed and when I go into device manager I see it upgraded some of my drivers such as my VIA Standard PCI to ISA Bridge controller.

Why do you suggest installing the via drivers right after the OS? Obviously I have not or don't think I have.

What would you recommend???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information