Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A7N8X won't post after installing processor - NEW BUILDER

A7N8X Deluxe
    2400+
    512mb (single) Crucial 2700
    Radeon 9500 Pro
    Antec SLK3700AMB (350w)

Have read the FAQ's out there and have replaced the CMOS battery. When everything is removed the ASUS lady voice repeats "no CPU installed". After installing only the processor I get nothing. It doesn't shut off (so it's not the automatic temperature shutdown), it just sits there. If it was a processor problem I would expect to hear "improperly installed CPU" or something like that. All the fans are going, light is green on the motherboard.

The processor has been reseated and the BIOS cleared numerous times (though I haven't actually seen the BIOS setup yet).

Before stripping the board to nothing, I had only the CPU, video card (correctly daisychained for power), and RAM installed and nothing was sent to the moniter.

I have already pulled the board out and placed on cardboard, to make sure it wasn't any short that was involved, and it still talked. But as soon as the processor is installed...nothing.

Any help would be appreciated beyond belief.

It sounds strange, and it seems you have tried a lot... Always remember though latest BIOS!
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

That board requires two matching pieces of memory

Quote Originally Posted by BUNKIE0_0
    That board requires two matching pieces of memory
    yes that is correct ,only if you want to take advantage of the dual ddr memory. But this board well work with one stick of memory.

eagletech9000, is your 2400+ cpu new?, could you maybe not of seated it in your mobo properly?

want2be is correct, the board needs only one stick of ram to boot. A quick look at the mobo manual gave me one idea to have you look at :

want2be:

It was a brand new/retail processor. No aftermarket parts added. Though it was my first time installing an AMD processor, I correctly seated it (dropped right into place) though it was pretty difficult attaching the heatsink. What's the deal with the clip-bending? It was quite unnerving having to use that much force on top of a processor.

bigjackusa:
    Good idea, but the board came with the jumper already installed over 3-4.

My first attempt at building a computer from scratch is going much worse than I expected. Guess I'll keep trying...so keep the ideas coming.

Thanks guys

You might try changing the fsb jumper to 200mz. It might boot so you could play with voltage settings in the bios. This is a long shot, but check/swap your jumpers. Over the years I've found 2 bad jumpers (out of hundreds? thousands?). The wire conductor inside was broken so it couldn't close the circuit. Don't worry too much about applying pressure on the cpu as long as the heatsink is parrallel to it. The little rubber baby buggy bumpers on the cpu help a lot. The bigger danger is tearing up the mobo if your screwdriver slips. I hope you unplugged the psu when you cleared the cmos too. It can damage the mobo if you do it with power supplied as it is never really "off" as long as it has power.

I tried setting it to 200 without success. Hopefully somebody nearby can test this processor in another (working) machine.

Looking at the ASUS manual, I can't figure out why the POST Reporter doesn't say "System failed CPU test" or continue saying "No CPU installed". It doesn't make much sense to me.

Any more ideas?

I'd guess that either the problem kills the voice app or that it does not appear to match anything in its limited list of responses.

Thread Information