Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice

The nForce 2 chipset comes with more standard integrated features. This is in the chipset itself. The A7V8X has a comparable amount of integration, but it's just equipped with more logic chips to control different aspects of the PC...like it has a sound chip, a LAN chip---stuff that's a part of the nForce 2 chipset. Other companies nForce 2 boards are comparable.

Asus isn't bad, but they tend to be one of the more expensive brands to buy. You don't have to buy the priciest board, but at the same time, but something that's quality and not a piece of ****, which basically is ECS and FIC motherboards.

I have used three of what i consider good brands w/ NForce2 Chipsets. Asus, ABit, and Epox. All of them are great...my suggestion tho is to go with the EPoX 8rda+. Its right there with performance and affordable. And BTW the asus you mentioned Grey is a VIA based mobo...Asus' Nforce 2 mobo is the A7N8X.

My new setup i recently made for myself is a Epox 8rda+ with a Barton 2500+. I used my old 4600 and scored a 13177 or something close to that in 3dMarkse2001 and that was all stock speeds. I was using PC2700 on Dual Channel. If you do upgrade from the crappy board you have now...you won't regret it. A 2500+ with a 9700Pro will get you to almost 15000's. Good Luck.
    - Damien

That makes sence. Is there a list of nForce2 boards to look at. Or does anyone have any sugestions. The things that are staying the same in my sytem are.

Processor: AMD 1900+XP
    V-Card: Radeon 9700 pro

I am changing the Mobo and Ram. I however still am unclear on what to change it out to. This system is just going to be used for gaming really.

Thanks,

Grey

If you must Change it go with NForce2 and Cosair XMS Series PC3200 CAS 2.

Upgrade to that if you must. nForce2 Chipsets support Dual Channel memory and with 2 256 sticks will make a nice upgrade and you will have the ability to make really aggrsive timings on that memory. Later on you can upgrade to a 2500+ or 2800 Barton Core.

Asus, Abit or EpoX....but like i said 8 rda+ would be my choice of the two. :thumb:
    - Damien

Thanks.

Here is what has been done. I have puchased the A7N8X and 1 512XMS Corsair DDR333 512mb CAS2 ram chip. So my system will now be the following.

Processor: AMD 1900+ XP
    Mobo: A7N8X
    Memory: 512XMS Corsair DDR333 512mb CAS2
    Vcard: Radeon 9700 pro

How does that sound??

Grey

Well like i said to take advantage of Dual Channel Memory you ill need one stick of Ram per channel. So that is the reason why i suggested 2x256...unless later on you plan on investing in another exact 512 stick.

One stick is good tho...but dual channel should be used if its there you know what i mean...but like i said you can alway get yourself another stick...later on.
    - Damien

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information