Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help I need Help!!

Hi I built my p4 system but I'm building an AMD system. My mother board is a MSI K7N2-L. with a AMD 2000+ processor. After successfully entering bios and getting it to recognise my hard drive a Seagate 20g 5200rpm the pc refused to boot. As soon as power came on the system crashed. IE no post. Please help I have tried everything to get it to work. Could it be a cooling problem as currently there is only one case fan and the heatsink + heatsink fan? According to bios the processor was running at 52 c. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Any lights, beeps, fans spinning?

yeah the fans spin yet the internal speaker does not beep. Also the hard drive does spine

Try yanking everything out and putting it all back in. I had that problem and after takin out the RAM and playing with it for a bit it booted.

That temp is way high, does the case have any airflow? Is the HSF installed properly? Also does it crash without that hard drive connected?

Hi guys,

Yeah I yanked everything out. So all I had was just the processor and ram and graphics card. I checked the heatsink was seated properly quite a few times and it was correctly fitted. I do have a whole load more fans to put in. However after my P4 build and this new system my budget ran dry so I had to get a cheapo case with only 1 fan mount. :o :o I spoke to the company I bought it from and they said that it was a common problem with these boards. :?: :?: Anyway I've sent it back so they can test. I think its either going to be the motherboard or the processor. I still don't know what caused it though. Any ideas? With regards to temperature i know its hot but my p4 has gotten hotter only after a load of stress tests but even so I think 50c is well within the limits set by AMD? :shrug:

anything that is over 50c, i think is going to kill your pretty old little dreamboat!:smokin:

50c range will not will not kill a cpu in a short time. You need to get up to the 90c range to do that. The higher the temp, the shorter the life of the cpu, but it should still last quite awhile in his range.

well I wasn't planing on keeping it that hot for very long. I was going to sort out the case but I wanted to get it boot up and see what it was like. You know new toy and all - can't wait to see it running. 50 is hot but I don't think that was the cause. I should know soon whether the mb was fautly or not

Quote Originally Posted by Neil2094
    Hi guys,

Yeah I yanked everything out. So all I had was just the processor and ram and graphics card. I checked the heatsink was seated properly quite a few times and it was correctly fitted. I do have a whole load more fans to put in. However after my P4 build and this new system my budget ran dry so I had to get a cheapo case with only 1 fan mount. :o :o I spoke to the company I bought it from and they said that it was a common problem with these boards. :?: :?: Anyway I've sent it back so they can test. I think its either going to be the motherboard or the processor. I still don't know what caused it though. Any ideas? With regards to temperature i know its hot but my p4 has gotten hotter only after a load of stress tests but even so I think 50c is well within the limits set by AMD? :shrug:
    A P4 running at 50 C ?? You sure you had the HSF mounted properly (eg., ALL clips were clipped, not just 3 or less)? Hell, A P4 without a fan running on it (with decent case airflow) only reaches 53.4 C here during 100% cpu load (yes, keep in mind that is passive cooling... accidentily bumped the v7+'s fan connector and thus wasn't making contact)... Normally a P4 should run in high 20's, mid 30's or at most, low 40's. Something was up with ye p4... As for AMD products, 50 is time to get on your heels and start looking at your case airflow, tidying up the cables in your case if you have too, adding / removing fans, changing polarity of fans, etc etc. Ultimately you'd wanna be running about low 40's.
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information