Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KT400 vs nForce2 vs ??

You also mentioned the Hammer. Remember that it has already been surmised that the Hammer will finally require AMD to go with a newer socket design so any boards currently on the market today would be incompatible with this new processor (whenever it finally makes it to the market).
    Yes, I know and fully understand that Hammer will be completely different and separate.

I am simply trying to build a comp that will be upgradeable to say a Barton 6000+ if and when they make it.

So My Question is: Which CURRENT chipset has the best shot at being able to support say a Barton 6000+ (333 FSB)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Then ya best option atm will be to go the nForce2 route even though it requires 2 sticks of memory for the best performance (I havn't built an Athlon PC since before last Xmas now that's used a VIA chipset) but ya won't regret gettin' it (the EPoX 8RDA+ works very well).

Ok, thanks.

Wiggo can you explain to me a little more about the ram issue you just mentioned? The logic behind it.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

This isn't a scientific explanation, but in simple terms it is similar to having a RAID for your memory. It has a dual channel DDR capability that is sort of like allowing it to use the bandwidth of two sticks of memory at the same time. And for the techie gurus, I already stated that this was a very general description so don't go off into never-never land.

The only hitch for this type setup is that to get the best performance, you need to have a pair of matched sticks of DDR memory. Staying with the same speed rating and manufacturer is preferable since they will stand a better chance of syncing up when you adjust timings and such.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Ok, excellent description.

Now Darth, (or anyone) can you give me a GUESTIMATE as to the overall performance difference between a system with ONE stick of ram, vs Two identicle sticks???

I remember reading somewhere that Soyo dragon kt400 is the AMD RECOMMENDED MOTHERBOARD FOR 333 FSB. but i could just be crazy
    -|Soyo Dragon kt400 - XP 1600+ - 1 GB pc2700 - radeon 9700pro- Amstel Light|-

-|Mystery Mobo - celeron 1.2 - 256 whatver sdram - geforce4mx440 - Coors Light|-

I haven't tested that... sorry. Maybe someone else can jump in with some information on that.

Oh, and that Soyo board sucks nuts. While it follows the Soyo trend of being one of the most stable boards on the market, the overclockability and feature set leaves a bit to be desired. Just something to consider before coughing up your hard-earned cash. :)
    My Toys

well, we'll see about nut sucking when i start screwing around with my FSB
    -|Soyo Dragon kt400 - XP 1600+ - 1 GB pc2700 - radeon 9700pro- Amstel Light|-

-|Mystery Mobo - celeron 1.2 - 256 whatver sdram - geforce4mx440 - Coors Light|-

With just one stick of memory in an nForce2 mobo you'll get similar performance to the KT400 chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by MFaction
    well, we'll see about nut sucking when i start screwing around with my FSB
    I wish you luck then. I've got a buddy who has that board (the Platinum Edition) and he gets horrible FSB overclocking. If you fare better, then all is good.
    My Toys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information