Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KT400 vs nForce2 vs ??

Ok Guys, here is the deal.

I'm helping a friend build a Barton system, and we are shooting for a mobo that will support processors as far into the future as possible... (ALL of the 333 AMD's if possible)

Does anyone have any info that would show that one chipset is better prepared for the future????

Thanks...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

i ain't no xpert on this but both nForce2 and kt400 support bartons, both are built to go fsb333, if ur into a kt400 buy kt400A which is newer than kt400 and its finer tuned so the memory etc... work better than kt400. My advice would be to buy an overclockers board where u can adjust all necessary settings in bios.

many people choose nForce2 cos of dual ddr support, but i've read somewhere that dual ddr is not as efficient in amd systems due to lower fsb speeds.
    :cheers:
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

How long has the KT400a been out? How many mobo's are there with it, and does Epox have plans to release one soon?

many people choose nForce2 cos of dual ddr support
    I assume dual DDR, just allows for configurable ram slots that allow multiple ram speeds?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

i've read this article which compared kt400a to kt400 to nforce2, nforce2 ruled :thumb:

comparing the kt chipsetskt400a is better than kt400 when both r working with ddr400 rams and kt400 is better working with ddr333 rams, however kt400 working ddr333 is better than kt400a with ddr400 rams

go with the nforce2 is my opinion, its just that bit better.

:woot:
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by ufuk21p
    i've read this article which compared kt400a to kt400 to nforce2, nforce2 ruled :thumb:

comparing the kt chipsetskt400a is better than kt400 when both r working with ddr400 rams and kt400 is better working with ddr333 rams, however kt400 working ddr333 is better than kt400a with ddr400 rams

go with the nforce2 is my opinion, its just that bit better.

:woot:
    / \
    |
    |
    |

He's right. Lets not get into fancy talk, the nforce 2 owns ... Fo' shizzle my nizzle. My :2cents: :lips:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

ATM the best chipset for Athlon systems is the nForce2 which is a few streets ahead of VIA but the others (ALi and SiS, havn't seen ATi's turn up yet) are several blocks behind.

i say go for the Nforce 2 chipset if u get the new steping which is on most rev 2 mobos you can blow kt400 and SiS out of the water right now as speeds of 400 mhz on the fsb are possible as i have my 2500 barton set up with 400mhz fsb running very well. pics are around of it on the forums

nforce 2 rapes kt400a...now i wanna nforce3 pro 250 tho =)

Ok, I appreciate all your help, however THIS is really my only question. Which chipset using a 333 FSB is the best prepared for the fastest 333 Athlon XP they will ever make?

How soon is Hammer expected to hit the market, and what will be the highest Megahertz acheived by the Barton??? Is there another architecture planned AFTER Barton, but Before Hammer???

========

See this is what I want to be able to do. In two years for example, I want this guy to be able to upgrade to the fastest 333 FSB Athlon they will ever make. Is nVidia good at releaseing updates to their bios's that support newer stuff, years later?

========

But please remember my main question... hehe thanks :)

Which chipset using a 333 FSB is the best prepared for the fastest 333 Athlon XP they will ever make?

The "B" core Thoroughbreds are already showing a better promise of high FSB speeds than the Barton, so it seems that you'll have to consider your options accordingly. And as far as high FSB chipsets, the nForce2 has already shown itself to be a far superior performer.

You also mentioned the Hammer. Remember that it has already been surmised that the Hammer will finally require AMD to go with a newer socket design so any boards currently on the market today would be incompatible with this new processor (whenever it finally makes it to the market).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information