Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Buying off Ebay?

I found a pretty slick deal on ebay and im thinking about going for it. Ive never bought anything off ebay though so i am a little nervous about it. Has anyone ever bought hardware from there? Any thing to look out for when buying? Any tips at all?

Didnt know where this should go so feel free to move it.

Whats the buyers rating?

Also, could I have a link to this deal? :laugh:

Notice how i made sure to be as less specific as possible?:devil:

86 positive resposes, 1 negative. Buyer rating sounds good. Anything else i should look at?

Read the comments, read the comment on the Negative rating especially

got to be careful when reading the comments/reviews... they should be taken with a grain of salt :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

A lot of people try to sell their stuff in FS forums first. But after some of the stuff doesnt sell it goes to ebay. Maybe you;re lucky and its one of those people, in which case you would be in good hands.

7. Default

I've bought a few things from ebay and never had a problem but I also make sure I check out his/her rating and read those negative feedbacks if there are any to be sure I'm not gonna get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    got to be careful when reading the comments/reviews... they should be taken with a grain of salt :)
    I choose to read between the lines so to speak. Actually a lot of information can be gleaned from those comments.

Offhand, 86 and 1 sounds good - keep in mind that there are some folks that are just impossible to please. Others do have every right to legitimate complaints. If the complaint is legitimate, was there anything the seller did or could have done to resolve the situation.

I've bought quite a fair amount of merchandise off eBay over the last few years. It would be nigh impossible to give you a crash course on eBay purchasing - you have to use your head, and occasionally your heart.
    I'm a sometimes eBayer - ripped off once.
    Overall, I'm highly satisfied with the purchases I've made there.

My little list of basics;
    Use the tools eBay provides - seller ratings, etc. They are good tools, there for your benefit. Learn how to use them and do so mercilessly.
    Is the description clear? - never ever assume anything, if it doesn't clearly state it is included it is best to assume not included. If it doesn't clearly state "Deluxe" model - you're getting the cheaper one, you get the idea.
    Is the shipping going to be insured? Paid for by you or seller, doesn't matter - just don't let a good deal go south because of shoddy shippers.
    And of course, if it is too good to be true - move on (your momma may have told you about that one too).
    Once you see what you want - search exhaustively for other like items, eBay has a lot of stuff and you may well find a better deal on the exact same thing in another auction.
    By all means, snipe - all is fair in bidding. 14 seconds to go, best the high bid by 50 cents and the item is yours - no 2 ways about it.
    Be sure you are getting a deal - amazing the number of people who pay retail for an item on eBay. Some folks tend to get caught up in the excitement of the auction and lose all good sense - don't get taken in like that.
    As in everything you buy, regardless of where you buy it, an informed purchaser is going to have a better chance of being satisfied with his/her purchase.
    If the item has a "Buy It Now" option, and you are happy with that, go for it - Buy It Now has been amazingly successful, and not to be overlooked as an alternative to bidding.
    Beware sellers who change ID's - often this can be to clean the slate of bad dealings and rip folks off some more.

And yes, on 2 occasions I have even purchased from first time sellers "0 rating" everyone has to start somewhere. Both times it was a total success - I got an item very cheap, and the seller was doing everything just perfect to try to build good feedback for future auctions. (that is what I was referring to when I said, use your head & your heart)

Good luck - have fun
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information