Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinME Windows Protection Error

Installed new WinME with NIC and it was all working fine. After installing a modem, I'm getting the error. Removing the modem and even the NIC don't clear up the problem. Using msconfig, I've isolated it down to the NDIS.vxd file and if I disable that file, it boots fine, but none of my networking will work (I reinstalled the NIC). Windows Support doesn't yield any usable suggestions. Any here?

Quote Originally Posted by jgordon
    Installed new WinME with NIC and it was all working fine. After installing a modem, I'm getting the error. Removing the modem and even the NIC don't clear up the problem. Using msconfig, I've isolated it down to the NDIS.vxd file and if I disable that file, it boots fine, but none of my networking will work (I reinstalled the NIC). Windows Support doesn't yield any usable suggestions. Any here?
    Try totally removing Windows Networking through Add/Remove Windows Components, then do a clean boot without it... Then re-install if it boots fine.

Worked fine, but when I reinstalled the NIC (Intel Pro100) the problem returned. Are there any tweaks that can be used to get around this issue?

Are you using the latest drivers from Intels website?
    if not, go grab em and try again.

Also check to make sure that the Intel isn't sharing an IRQ with the USB controller as this maybe a prob as well as the 2 don't generally like each other in many cases. :smokin:

No luck. Reinstalled Intel NIC with latest drivers: same problem; Uninstalled, boots fine; Purchased and installed a new DLink NIC: same problem.

This is frustrating. Do I need to reinstall the O/S?

Quote Originally Posted by jgordon
    No luck. Reinstalled Intel NIC with latest drivers: same problem; Uninstalled, boots fine; Purchased and installed a new DLink NIC: same problem.

This is frustrating. Do I need to reinstall the O/S?
    Has this card ever worked or is it new? I think you may have a conflict here... Something you have is not liking this Intel NIC. Try re-installing Windows and don't install any drivers except the NIC and see if it works.

Beefy Guest

Personally, I'd do a reinstall. Of a different O/S. But that's just my big dislike for ME. I had nothing but trouble with that OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Personally, I'd do a reinstall. Of a different O/S. But that's just my big dislike for ME. I had nothing but trouble with that OS.
    ...that doesn't seem to be an option for him so he'll have to make due with a 500 megabyte virus we all lovingly call, "Windows ME"

Beefy Guest

Well said..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information