Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: command.com only on PC

Must be close to it anyway but remember that the 98 startup disk will recreate itself as a virtual drive in memory so your CDROM will be 1 drive letter further along. ;)

went int "boot disk priority ..was cd rom device,diskette drive a:, hard disk c:, LandeskService Agent for 3c98x (?)
    changed to: A:, CD, C: and moved Landesk...to "exclude from Boot disk Priority" then saved rebooted and got "invalid system disk" from A; with win98 bootdisk. Removed this then hit enter and got usual startup stuff including Landesk waffle then straight into Win98starup screen where it stopped as b4. Hit Esc which returned it to Landesk... but still no C; A: etc
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
    got me!

Just as a matter of interest, where did this PC come from? Any history at all? Any particular name brand on the case? Was it used by a gov or commercial organization? :?:

All thats on the case is "Dell Optiplex GxA" and the Intel inside logo, the history is a mystery as I was last on a list of people its been given to. I changed HD"s yesterday and got it to load Windows 95 :thumb: but the only problem is that drive is my spare and only 340 mb (a tad small) At least I can get some idea of whats inside at least. However, I really need the other drive to work (can't afford a new drive till after Xmas)
    Any ideas on reformatting or whatever would be very welcome!
    Thanks

Beefy Guest

Ahh, so it's a brand name machine. That could make things different. I've never used a Dell, but can someone help out getting into the BIOS on one of these?

Ahha, I've got a Dell Optiplex GX1 in the workshop now for work so I'll get into it after lunch (about 2hrs) and let ya now what I find as I'll be hittin' up www.dell.com.au for some info myself unless you want to try ya self first. ;)

Actually Beefy Dell doesn't have a catch-all BIOS entry.
    I've helped a couple of folks online before and the key combinations were rather specific for different models.
    Some of them had some pretty imaginative combinations too -- darn unlikely I'd have hit some of them without help from the Dell site.

EDIT; according to this page at Dell you can configure that device to boot a CD that loads the drivers. Does Win 95 load those drivers from the CD??
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Tried the bios thing again,see above for (same) result....thinking about Fdisk??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information